No fuel flow into Honda Express Carb?

Dustin Schings /

I have this '80 Honda Express II and it is running out of fuel in the carb bowl. I noticed there was little fuel flowing through the hose from the petcock to the carb so I replaced the petcock real quick. Same issue though. When the fuel line is taken off the petcock, fuel flows freely from the tank. As soon as I put the fuel line on the petcock, the flow is stopped. The line is empty, but it will not even fill with fuel. Just a very SLOW trickle.

The carb is cleaned out, didn't even look too bad. I believe the needle that stops the fuel flow into the bowl needs adjusted based on this issue, but the tab on the float is plastic and can't be bent a little to adjust.

Is there something I can do to get this fuel flowing better into the carb?

Re: No fuel flow into Honda Express Carb?

The bowl is empty and it still doesn't want to flow ?

If so , insure that the float is not installed upside down .

And , that the fuel line has no high spots that can hold an air bubble .

IOW , all down hill with no intermediate rises .

If that's good , then try opening the bowl drain until the line fills and fuel runs out of the drain .

Dustin Schings /

Mine looks like that. I think the float can only go in one way. The needle wouldn't fit into the tab if it was upside down.

No high spots in the fuel line either, but I think I am going to grab some extra line and try running it without a fuel filter. Perhaps that's the issue?

Maybe some varnish plugging up the line? Is the line clear? Is the rank clean? I've pulled and cleaned a petcock only to have to do it again immediately because of a filthy tank.

Dustin Schings /

It is a newer, clear style line and fuel filter. The tank is pretty clean, and it does flow free from the petcock if there is no line/carb connected.

Will be doing more T/S later and will update.

Dustin Schings /

I went ahead and tried with an without the fuel filter. As soon as the hose comes off the carb, fuel flows. I removed the bowl and when the float lowers, fuel flows. I put the bowl back on and opened the drain plug screw and that allowed fuel to flow finally.

However, after putting the carb back on the bike (took it off just to look inside once more, nothing found) the bike only wants to start or run with Choke on at least half way or more. Dies right away without it.

Any ideas on this? Very puzzling.

Air leak.

You said the carb was clean. Could you see daylight through both jets?

Dustin Schings /

> Mike Kirn Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You said the carb was clean. Could you see daylight through both jets?

Only one jet, a pressed in type. Yep, it was wide open. It is the Keihin model PA08D-A. (bottom of section 7)

http://www.myronsmopeds.com/category/carburetor/keihin/

There is a pilot passage and screw, as well as an emulsion tube. It needs to be clean also. The jet and emulsion tube can be punched out and cleaned. It needs to be aligned properly or it will run like ass if at all.(edited)

Dustin Schings /

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> There is a pilot passage and screw, as well as an emulsion tube. It

> needs to be clean also. The jet and emulsion tube can be punched out and

> cleaned. It needs to be aligned properly or it will run like ass if at

> all.

This photo shows my carb and all removable parts from inside of it. Mine is the middle one. I don't think there is a way to get the emulsion tube out?

Is there a way to clean it without punching it out and punching it back in place (hopefully without ruining it).

Ultrasonic cleaning. Also, there's no photo.

Dustin Schings /

Sorry, forgot the photo! Again, mine is the middle.

> Dustin Schings Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------nally.

>

> the bike only wants to start or

> run with Choke on at least half way or more. Dies right away without

> it.

>

> Any ideas on this? Very puzzling.

This symptom really sounds like a blocked pilot jet/passage block.

Dustin Schings /

> Mike Kirn Wrote:

> This symptom really sounds like a blocked pilot jet/passage block.

You were right. When I put my carb back on, the o-ring gasket fell a bit and was clamped on improper. That's the weird idle problem I was having for sure.

Unfortunately, I cannot take her for a spin, since she is not in 100 pieces getting ready to be cleaned up and restored. She isn't that rough, but will get a full clean, and probably some new paint.

Kasey OKeefe /

Greetings I own a 1983 at Honda and see 50 express when I pick up over it runs and starts up fine and runs for like two minutes and then flagstone the gas is on it is fairly new gas and it runs terrific for about two minutes and then just begins to bog down and shut down entirely... It won’t start back up for a minute or two I have to switch to run switch to off and push it for a minute and then turn it back on and start it up and it will start up and run again for twodoes anybody have any idea what it is it won’t start back up for a minute or two I have to switch the run switch to off and push it for a minute and then turn it back on and start it up and it will start up and run again for two minutes

Thanks so much

Kasey, Have you had the carburetor apart for examination?

Dustin Schings /

Sounds like my issue. I feel like the carb bowl is not filling up with fuel. Though I cleaned the carb and the plunger needle looks good.

Jack Rutherford /

> Kasey OKeefe Wrote:

> Greetings I own a 1983 at Honda and see 50 express when I pick up over

> it runs and starts up fine and runs for like two minutes and then

> flagstone the gas is on it is fairly new gas and it runs terrific for

> about two minutes and then just begins to bog down and shut down

> entirely... It won’t start back up for a minute or two I have to switch

> to run switch to off and push it for a minute and then turn it back on

> and start it up and it will start up and run again for twodoes anybody

> have any idea what it is it won’t start back up for a minute or two I

> have to switch the run switch to off and push it for a minute and then

> turn it back on and start it up and it will start up and run again for

> two minutes

>

> Thanks so much

gas cap vent blocked maybe

Possibly....Express has an open close position on the stock cap, never seen anything like it, but if closed or plugged could cause the issue, run without the cap to test.

Jack Rutherford /

Fuel inlet blocked with crud, maybe? It's a pretty small hole which leads to the float needle seat.

It’s the fuel cap, the fuel cap has a little whole that lets the fuel tank breath and allows the gas to flow into the carb. If it is plugged the gas will chug like if you pour a liter bottle of water onto the ground it will chug and chug out but if you were to cut a small hole in the bottom of the bottle and put the water out it would not gulp out but pour smoothly out.

Having the same issue, BUT on my first run I did not have this issue, bike ran pretty well, now runs, cuts out, the vent is in the open position of course, any way to clean the cap so it flows better, but also did it with cap off, so maybe cap is ok? Fuel line leaks a bit from petcock to carb, so maybe vacuum is sucking the line closed? It always starts back up, but only runs about 30 seconds now. Thoughts? 78 Express. For what it is, this bike rides nice, I love my QT-50, but this rides better, but I think Yamaha owned the noped market, love the kick start and shaft drive.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account