Tomos A55 Lights Out

Wyatt Shadowfax /

Alright, so before I start this, I'm going to say that I am an Electrical-Mechanical Engineer/Technician by trade, so I am well acclimated with this kind of stuff. I am also well versed with small engines. The following issue happened on my 2010 Tomos ST with the A55 engine. The poor thing is quite beat up, and was quite abused before I acquired it. I have put a lot of work into it, and have replaced quite a few parts since I got it.

With that out of the way, here's the scoop; I was riding with my friend (who ironically has the same moped as me), and I turned on my turn signal, and the indicator light in the gauge cluster got REALLY bright, and wasn't blinking, so I turned it off. I went to go use it again a second later, and it still was solid, but wasn't as bright. At that time, all my lights went out. My friend was behind me, and said that my turn signal got really bright, and went out along with my brake light. So obviously, something shorted out.

The thing still runs fine, the lights just don't work after that. Upon looking into it, I saw the wires for the rear light cluster are inside the rear fender, and the cover and insulation had been worn down to the conductor because of the rear wheel occasionally rubbing it. This only happened to one wire. The next day, me and my mechanic friend dropped the rear wheel, and re-wired said wire that was damaged, to no avail.

So what I was wondering is that maybe there's a fuse somewhere that blew, or maybe the indicator light IS the fuse, and that blew. My headlight indicator still works, but I can't tell if the headlight turns on, because I don't have a bulb in, and the low and high beam wires are unplugged from the headlight assembly. My mechanic friend said that there probably IS a fuse somewhere, so I was hoping someone here would be able to either locate it, or give me some insight into it. He also said that the wire coming from the magneto/power source went out, and that's what caused such a "violent" short.

Any help is appreciated, and I will do my best to reply ASAP. Thanks all!

Also, if anyone wants pictures, just let me know.

Re: Tomos A55 Lights Out

not a ee but, mopeds regulate power by wattage. headlight uses power so the tail turn horn etc dont burn out. or does the a55 have a regulator?that little silver box, hmmm. if your front turn signal works then theres an issue w wiring. or bulbs burned out out back. if u heavy get longer shocks or shock extenders off ebay bucks.

Wyatt Shadowfax /

Thanks for your response, I think the A55 does have a regulator, next to the CDI there's a small silver box with cooling fins on it, I'd think that that's what that is... but I'm not sure. As for my front turn signals, they also don't work. They went out with my rears. None of the lights on my ped work, except for the headlight indicator in the gauge cluster. Again, I can't tell if the headlight works because I don't have a bulb in it. Let me know what you think...

I'd make use of your multi-meter .

Wyatt Shadowfax /

I'll take some measurements tomorrow, I'll have my electrician friend at work help me out too.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

The internal harness always gets frayed inside the fender. The flasher unit may have failed. Unless the lighting out terminal is molten on the regulator it is still good. The flasher unit is the same as a gm. There is a white wire that goes to the headlight. It always works loose losing ground to the lighting system.

« Go to Topic — end of thread