Run & done

Kasey OKeefe /

Greetings I own a 1983 Honda express

It kicks over and runs perfectly for about a minute or two and then bogs down and shut off I then have to turn the run button to off Because if I were to kick it over right after it bogs down it won’t start I wait a minute turn it to run and it will start up again run a minute or 2 and shut down again... does anybody have any suggestions?

Thank you for your time

Re: Run & done

Is your gas tank vent open?

Clogged petcock or screen to carb. Or like said above,not venting thru cap.

Fuel flow, tank vent.

Kasey OKeefe /

Thank you all very much for your time it fires right up it runs for like about a minute and a have the fuel petcock is on one position

It goes strong then it starts to lose power in a minute or 2 and will start to die down and bog. Until completely shutting off if I try to kick it over it won’t start and then I put it from run position to off and walk with it for a minute and re kick it will start I drove it 13 miles thru Los Angeles without an air filter on the carburetor because it fell off I’m wondering if that might’ve had something to do with it at lost parrot for something did get in there I ordered a new air filter it just arrived any thoughts thank you all for your time

Kasey OKeefe /

It’s just odd that it runs so strong for like a minute or two I don’t know something might be lodged in the carburetor and he is already disabled the mixer and so I have had to mix it myself

Check what three guys just told you to check.Fuel flow thru the carb.

Seriously, you have a flow problem. It happens with age, I hear. But for real, if your gas cap isn't venting properly, it will do exactly what you described.

Air filters are for sissies.

Kasey OKeefe /

I’m sorry I’m dumb where is gas tank vent?

That was funny about the flow with age lol

What do I look for sorry I’m not good with these things also do u think a ko 65 shock would fit on it the potholes in the city are so bad I hit a pothole bumped into another lane and almost got hit by a bus!! Thanks for all your help u don’t know how much I appreciate it I’m gonna work on it in the morning

Does your gas cap look like this:

image.jpg

My Express II is an 81. The cap vent in this photo is closed. See how the lever on top is pointed to off. Turn it clockwise to ON to vent. If your cap is different, try running with the cap loosened and see if that solves your problem.

Kasey OKeefe /

I put the cap on but did not tighten it all the way I look at the fuel petcock and when it is turned on it drips out very slow but if it is on reserve it comes out fast I blew air through the line to the carburetor it seems clear. When I hold up bottle down HS box out but I can keep it running now but that very low idle

Thanks for being so patient with me I’m really trying to figure out what the heck is going on

A429B5E4-A557-44FE-B699-88C95842CC41.jpeg

Sounds like your petcock is all gommed up. Either that or your gas tank is almost empty, ha ha. Surely you have a full tank of gas. You may get lucky and be able to take your petcock apart and clean it, but you’ll probably find it o-rings and seals are all gooey and ruined. But you may just have gummed up fuel stuck in the petcock.

Kasey OKeefe /

I’m not sure do you suggest trying to take petcock off or would I need some some kind of sealing it bogs down when I crank throttle I have to go slow and constant and when the brake is hit engine dies

Thank you very much again !!

CB7CFDA4-886C-49B1-8C24-CB3B63EDFC48.jpeg

There was a quirky problem I ran into when working on a 78 or so Express. The cap would not vent when turned ALL the way to ON. If you barely backed it away from ON, it would vent. Try that.

But your petcock sounds like it's clogged in the ON position.

It could be running lean with the air filter removed. I don't know what carburetor you have but you might want to screw in your mixture screw in your carb at least a half turn until your filter comes.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account