87 Vepsa Piaggo Si, Rear shock not returning.

I live in christchurch and since my bike only does 40kmh in a 60 (dont worry, perfmoance parts arriving tomorrow!) so on Thursday i was caught riding through some pot holes on my way home and i felt the rear of the bike give way.

What's happened is one of my two rear shocks is having issues returning so once i hit the pothole the entire rear wheel started to twist with the top of the tire leaning to the left and the bottom leaning to the right (from the perspective of sitting on the bike).

I've diagnosed it as being a bad shock because once put on the center stand the the shock fixes itself and is once again capable of supporting the weight of the bike. Can anybody help me find a replacement pair or possibly a rebuild kit if it isn't too big of a job? I imagine that it's just a bit leaky and the internal spring is a bit kaput. I'd like to replace the shock tho because the shocks given out since the thursday incident(edited)

Re: 87 Vepsa Piaggo Si, Rear shock not returning.

Barry (Bob) Brown /

Possibly here:

Vespa Piaggio

He said one of his two rear shocks. Do Si have two rears ???

Si Monte Carlo has 2 shocks. I bet they are your standard 10mm eyelet moped shocks. Just a random guess, but the length should be somewhere between 280 and 320mm. Yep, sounds right.

sweet, i'd checked treatland for shocks but hadn't found any untill now.

I also think my shocks are fine, the bolt attatching the motor to the frame had come a bit loose so i think the problem is solved for now.

Oh boy!

It is an interesting q. Where to get replacement si center springs. The monte carlo swing arms and frames should still take them, so you could go that route- remove the towing shocks and go monoshock spring.

« Go to Topic — end of thread