Favorite tool to get off rounded nut?

Captain Janeway /
IMG_20190414_104110216.jpg

PO of bike managed to round nut holding center stand on my Urban. Don't know that it's safe taking a Dremel to cut it on bike so need to pull the effing bike apart to drop engine. Trying to avoid it.

Anyone know a really good tool or method to get the damned thing off.

It's the nut all the way on bottom left.

IMG_20190414_104110216.jpg

Re: Favorite tool to get off rounded nut?

Josiah Radebaugh /

Vice grips, WD-40 and a torch. Or tack any peice of metal (steel) to it.

The straight jaw vice-grips would work better in that situation where space to grasp the nut is limited. Curved jaw vise-grips might work, but I'd try the straight jaw.

I don't see which nut in the photo. don't matter

If you can get a nut breaker on it they're very good, but any time you've got room for one of those you've got room for a pair of vice grips and then I just use vice grips.

penetrating oil like b'laster seems to work better than WD-40. head very much definitely helps. don't discount it. it's usually what actually gets enough expansion to break loose whatevers stuck corroded or galled.

another thing that's worked well for me is a chisel and a hammer. get the chisel at an angle and use it to turn the nut while you hammer it. does that make sense?

you can also get fluted nut remover sockets like griprite or whatever that will get it off if all else fails and you've got no room to get in there with vice grips.

Looks like it might be right under one of the cover screws .

Maybe remove that screw for more room .

If there's no room for gripper tools , just cut it off and get another bolt and nut .

I don't see why you'd have to drop the motor .

Oil and heat, and more oil and heat good Captain! They are the enemy of stuck fasteners around the world. Enough oil and heat and you can move anything. An electric heat gun isn't bad. A propane torch is better and MAPP gas torch has superpowers (but won't melt the steel).

Yes PB Blaster, Silikroil, or another good penetrating oil applied to a heated nut, a time or two. Then grab that nut with QUALITY locking pliers (vise grips if you will).

In a worst case scenario you can indeed cut the nut off with a Dremel tool I've done it plenty of times. Just remember you're a surgeon in such a case and the cutting disc will cut the bolt, your engine cases, your knuckles, anything it touches. Once you crack the nut, that is to say "break the circle" in any one location, it will come off like butter.

Here's an axle nut I recently cut off a V-Strom motorcycle with a Dremel. In this case we knew the axle and the nut were junk (there was a recall on soft, non-heat-treated axles) so we didn't have to be careful to protect the bolt. But we could have almost as easily cut off the nut without hurting the axle bolt.

20190415_154421.jpg

Captain Janeway /

I'll go see if I can borrow or just go buy better vise grips. Mine's just a cheapy. Yeah, I could Dremel it, but didn't know about the wisdom of trying to chop that nut near the gas. I figure if I can smell gas it's probably not a good idea.

Would take me the afternoon and another person to drop the engine (it's not the weight, it's a balance thing. I don't have a good wingspan to maneuver it).

Is a crappy Harbor Freight heatgun even worth it? What's the temp range you all are looking at when you buy one?

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-dual-temperature-heat-gun-5721112-62340.html

Thanks

Yes,buy an IRWIN straight jaw visegrip. Imitations are junk and will cause you grief,like low quality tools usually do. I'm also a PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench user. I usually soak suspension parts or other troublesome nuts and bolts for a day or more before I go for it, IF I have time.

Any electric heatgun is a nice tool to have. It's honestly one of the more frequently used tools in my shop. I have a cheap Wagner ($15?) heatgun I use it a LOT.

Got a piece of fuel line that's a little too small to push onto the carb or petcock? Heat it up just a bit and then stuff it home. Boom. The license plate holder thing (black plastic plate) on my NC 50 was cracked almost in two, right up the middle. So I heated the shit out of the crack and then pressed down on the length of the crack with a putty knife. All better, welded back tight. Changing tires in a cold garage? Heat them suckers up and spoon them on like butter. And on and on. I've found a hundred uses for the 120 volt heat gun. I use it so often I keep it plugged in, next to my main workbench.

Locking pliers/vice grips are the way to go. I have cheap ones that work just fine for getting moped shit apart.

Richard Eberline /

vice grip make tool in the shape of a nut, for that situation.

Captain Janeway /
IMG_20190415_180756259.jpg

It's the bottom nut for those who wanted a better shot.

I'll go buy a better pair of vise grips. If no good, drain and move carb and take a Dremel to it.

Thanks all

Is that a through-bolt? Meaning, can you get a wrench on the other side, the bolt side? If you can, get a socket (the correct size,) and try to loosen it from the other side.

You can sometimes pound a slightly smaller socket onto the damaged nut.

But vice grips should work, like everyone else said.

Can't Belanna Torres, your chief engineer, take care of that for you, Captain Janeway?

Couldn't help myself.

I just finished a year's worth of binge watching Star Trek, The Animated Series, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise, Discovery, and the 13 motion pictures.

Captain Janeway /

> baird co Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Is that a through-bolt? Meaning, can you get a wrench on the other side,

> the bolt side? If you can, get a socket (the correct size,) and try to

> loosen it from the other side.

>

> You can sometimes pound a slightly smaller socket onto the damaged nut.

>

> But vice grips should work, like everyone else said.

It's a through bolt but butts up really close to another part. I'm hoping I can wiggle a wrench in and try the vise grip. thanks.

Dirty30 Dillon /

If you just take the trans cover off you won't have any interference with getting som e vice-grips on there.

Captain Janeway /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> If you just take the trans cover off you won't have any interference

> with getting som e vice-grips on there.

I'll give it a shot because I think my variator weights are shot and need a change. Bike just runs a little funny and I forgot to change them when I scuffed up the clutch shoes.

It looks more or less still hex-shaped. My gut tells me baird co has the right approach.

Pop a 6-pointed socket on there and spin it off. Maybe have to gently pound it on. Sometimes a slightly smaller socket is needed, like using an SAE socket of the next closest smaller size on an worn metric nut.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

If I were to buy a tool for that I would buy a stud remover it's basically a chuck that you can tighten and it's reverse threaded so that when you tighten it it loosens the object you have to check on the chuck size though that might be a little bit too big

Aero kroil and your fingers...

Seriously is it like does everything peanut butter Blaster claims to it is it's like aliens use it to clean the cattle mutilators originally it's used to clean lead splatter off the inside rifling of machine guns it could free a stuck piston quicker than you can say Slick Pig

I've used an Irwin BOLT-GRIP Extractor (looks like a socket with a spiral inside) on a badly rounded oil drain bolt. Came right off.

> Chris M Wrote:

> I've used an Irwin BOLT-GRIP Extractor (looks like a socket with a

> spiral inside) on a badly rounded oil drain bolt. Came right off.

Thanks! I'm gonna buy one of those.

Captain Janeway /

Thanks for this as an idea. Will be trying the vise grips and Dremel first

> Josiah Radebaugh Wrote:

> Vice grips, WD-40 and a torch. Or tack any peice of metal (steel) to it.

Ive had pretty solid luck with tacking steel on! Only need that first quarter or so to unstick in my shallow experience.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Below the exhaust port I have waxed the threads and filled a nut with weld. Took it off with a socket and breakerbar

Captain Janeway /

Thanks all. Got it loose with a slightly smaller socket and a breaker bar after I'd left it soaking in PBlaster.

Now if I get bored I'll try to pull that center stand apart to figure out what's wrong with it. Glad I had a parts bike to strip off the other one

kevin Smellaflange /

snap-on box end flank drive.

« Go to Topic — end of thread