ZA50 Stator + Multmeter = Explain to me like im a total numbskull.

Hey there,

ZA50 2 speed, 6 wire.

No spark - How do I get proper readings off the stator?

Let me explain...

Engine has been sitting for a couple years. It's in good condition now, fully rebuilt. Spark was never a problem years ago, but I can't get one now....

New plug, new ignition coil -- all ohms (primary, secondary) are where they should be.

I've read every diagram, tried new wires, brushed the points, grounding everything. No luck.

So time to check my stator...

But truth is, I have no real idea how to use my multimeter on the stator... and I'm pulling all sorts of confusing numbers from different points (or none at all).

What setting to I put my ohm range to (2000k, 200k, 20k, 2000, 200)? And where to I put my red and black multimeter needles? And what numbers am I looking for?

I've attached some pics that might help.

I can't figure this out :(

THANK YOU!!

Ben

IMG_1439.jpg
IMG_1434.jpg
IMG_1432.jpg

Re: ZA50 Stator + Multmeter = Explain to me like im a total numbskull.

You say you brushed the points? What kind of brush? I think you should try an actual ignition points file before worrying about the stator

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You say you brushed the points? What kind of brush? I think you should

> try an actual ignition points file before worrying about the stator

Just a light brushing with a clean paint brush. I'll try this immediately!

Thank you

Throw your meter across the room. You don't need it now.

Clean your points properly, then set the point gap correctly. Disconnect all six stator wires from the wiring block, and wire for spark only. Instructions are in the wiki. Then once it's running, study the wiring diagram, also in the wiki, and reconnect your other systems.

kevin Smellaflange /

points file one or two light times to flat/square off the contacts.

the pic looked a like they were little rounded

Baron Von Hamilton /

Ya they might be a bit rounded.

Ghetto way is to fold some fine sand paper in half. Make sure the points are closed. Pull it out, repeat few times till they look flat.

If you don’t have a feeler gauge, set the gap with a strip of beer or soda box.

Somewhere in the Wilki it talks about setting the gap.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Ignition_timing_for_points

Here it is....(edited)

> Brent Eaton Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> points file one or two light times to flat/square off the contacts.

>

> the pic looked a like they were little rounded

Yes,points files can do damage. Just take any tips off the points,then vut a ladies fingernail emery lengthways and sand away. Clean it up, but NO solvents. Set points at .016"(inch,not mm) or a little less.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

To answer your original question, on page 106 of the service manual, it explains everything about each part of the electrical system. I gives resistance specs for all of the coils near the end of the section.

Since these are all low values, you’ll want to subtract the resistance of your meter leads to arrive at an accurate reading. Check the resistance of the leads by placing the red and black leads together. Read the meter.

Once you know the points gap is set correctly, i’d recommend you browse through the troubleshooting procedures starting on page 113 or 116 i think. It’ll explain how and where to use your meter if needed.

Overpriced Parts /

Remove flywheel with correct remover tool and make sure the cam on it it is perfectly smooth and lubricated

You can check coils easier and clean points easier with it off

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

I think it was filing the points that solved my problem. Though I did everything that was recommended before attempting to fire it up.

I've had this bike sitting in pieces for about five years. Every once and a while I would take a crack and fixing it up -- sometimes with a year in between.

Today it ran! Drove up and down the road real smooth :) Very pleased today.

Thank again guys!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account