clutch out of adjustment or broken? please help this noob diagnose

Alright so I finally got my first moped running(kind of). The carb was leaking because of a maladjusted float, ditching the chinesium one for OEM but I was able to get it started just by flipping the petcock open briefly to fill the bowl up periodically. I understand that probably isn't the best but hey, I got to ride her up and down the street a few times.

Needless to say she was running a little rough and in need of adjustment but it was firing only after a kick or two so o was ecstatic. It died on me here or there but atleast I got it going

Try to go out and take her up and down the block a couple times just for gigs and when i go to step on it, some popping/banging noises that don't sound good happen and now it feels like maybe the clutch may not be engaging? Like you can straight up stand on it with the clutch lever pulled and then pop pop nothing, unable to turn the engine over, where to start troubleshooting? I don't think I seized it.

Keep in mind, minus the carb rebuild, new petcock, trans fluid and gas, this things is 100% 1977(even the tire tubes are original and hold air)

I love you all, thanks

(Pic because she just looks so beautiful)

20190426_183853.jpg

Re: clutch out of adjustment or broken? please help this noob diagnose

Update: now it seems to sometimes turn over and fire, or run completely. Other times I go to kick it and it doesn't want to move at all then snap crackle pop it gives way without turning the motor

Sounds like it's time to have a look inside .

Jeremy Homser /

You didnt drop a washer down the intake right?

Pretty sure I didn't. All parts/hardware I removed I put in an old tacklebox tray, labeled each partition, and then put back on carefully. Shouldn't be any missing hardware in the wrong place, was very careful when I put the intake back on

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account