Pietcard CDI troubleshooting

SHORT STORY:

Does anyone know how to troubleshoot a Pietcard CDI system with a multimeter or something?

LONG STORY:

On my last ride, My moped misfired at high regime. I managed to get home where it completely died on me. I thought it was the CDI box because I had once had problems with it so I replaced it. I managed to get 50 meters out of it, then it completely died. I have no spark at all. I replaced the spark plug and screwed back the boot and the cable on the coil with no result. Before I tear everything down, does anyone know if I can check the coils with a multimeter in order to find the culprit?

Something like “blue to gray wire shourd measure around X ohms” and “external coil should measure Y ohms” would be really helpful.

My complete setup is:

yellow internal coil

2041 box

Pietcard external ignition coil

Thanks for your help!

Re: Pietcard CDI troubleshooting

I measured resistance on the coils, but I don't have anything to compare to. I get:

Internal yellow coil:

- Blue wire to grey: 300 ohm

- Grey wire to ground: 51 ohm

- Blue wire to ground: 256 ohm

External Pietcard HT coil:

- spark plug boot to ground: 8.6K (including 5k NGK resistor boot)

For reference, my CEV coil without the boot measures 8.2K.

So you swapped out the the 2041 with another one and it ran for a little while and died again?

No. The 2013 I had crapped on me once while going down a hill (I guess it revved to high) so I ordered a 2041 to replace it. When I tried the bike a couple days later it worked again so I left the 2013 in. That was last summer.

On my last ride the 2013 died again so I thought I'd finally replace it with the 2041. I just replaced the 2013 with the 2041 without changing anything else. With the 2041 I managed to ride for 50 meters then it died. I don't have a spark since then.

Last night I cracked open the 2013 box and every component measures ok, except maybe for the silicon-controlled rectifier which I'm not sure how to check. I might try to put it back to try if it works. Maybe I fried the 2041 box with a badly screwed-in spark plug cable? I Don't know.

Check your grounds. Those boxes like a good ground and the motor is well grounded to the frame. Also are you running a resistor boot or plug?

AFAIR the ground was sound, but I'll check again tonight. Yes I have a 5K resistor boot (NGK TB05EMA).

> Guillaume Guite Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> AFAIR the ground was sound, but I'll check again tonight. Yes I have a

> 5K resistor boot (NGK TB05EMA).

How do you have it grounded? Do you have a ground strap from the motor to the frame? Clean the paint to the bare metal where you're trying to ground it?

I get continuity between the motor case and the bolt holding the external HT coil when tested with a multimeter. The CDI box and external coil are grounded to this bolt.

I’ll remove the flywheel tomorrow to check the internal coil.

Probably your internal coil.

Do you have a spare cdi and/or ignition coil to narrow the issue down.

Unfortunately no. But I have a spare stator with points installed (the kind with the internal HT coil) and a spare 12V lighting coil that I can put in the meantime.

> Guillaume Guite Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Unfortunately no. But I have a spare stator with points installed (the

> kind with the internal HT coil) and a spare 12V lighting coil that I can

> put in the meantime.

The pietcards are on the pricey side. I know you can use a cheap aftermarket Yamaha jog Cdi box and ignition coil. Probably cost like $15 bucks for both and will work good for testing.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account