Puch maxi: Smoke, noise and death.

1985 maxi sport, kickstart, stock engine.

Got the engine rebuilt, timing set, carb jetted high ready to adjust.

The thing started first time. I'd hard wired it just to get a spark.

Runs okay, lots of smoke then dies when throttle is released.

Upon inspection we find oil in the exhaust and conclude that it must be the transmission oil. After replacing seals and bearings the engine is rebuilt and is doing the same thing again. Lots of smoke with the throttle open and dies when released.

Now the kickstart has jacked.

Re: Puch maxi: Smoke, noise and death.

Overpriced Parts /

Too much gas/float needle leaking/ too high/wrong/jetting or choke plate not connected correctly and just falls down when off throttle

Mix good 2t oil at 50 to one with good gas, Check and fix what I just said

have you changed your gas? you rebuilt fully? cleaned everything out? Have you set timing and jetting properly first?

Thanks Guys

Bike is fully rebuilt. Tank has had POR three part treatment. Timing was spot on. I have the haynes manual and youtube for reference.

The carb is 14mm bing. I made a few posts last year about refurbing it. Slide seems to be working fine when I look down the air intake. The only thing that is in the back of my mind is the spurious Jet needle I put in.

The atomizer is genuine bing but I have no idea what size it is. JMPB only sell 2.17 and 2.14 so one or the other.

Overpriced Parts /

> Michael F Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks Guys

>

> Bike is fully rebuilt. Tank has had POR three part treatment. Timing was

> spot on. I have the haynes manual and youtube for reference.

>

> The carb is 14mm bing. I made a few posts last year about refurbing it.

> Slide seems to be working fine when I look down the air intake. The only

> thing that is in the back of my mind is the spurious Jet needle I put

> in.

>

> The atomizer is genuine bing but I have no idea what size it is. JMPB

> only sell 2.17 and 2.14 so one or the other.

Second be your problem neither one is correct for that size carb, either or 222 or 212a is correct for a 14mm bing

Cheers Ken will have to order one from treats.

What do you think about the oil in the exhaust? Would seem like changing the crank seals was a wise move even if it wasn't the main problem.

We ran into a problem with the new bearings. One was wider than the original which made it impossible to put the circlip back on the crankshaft. I didn't know there were two different versions.

Yes the late model roller crankshaft and Metra kit crank take different bearings than the aftermarket and original crankshaft. I would say you probably installed the seal improperly and are still sucking oil.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account