Re: 1982 Honda express won’t start

How would I patch it up?

> Owen Sims Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> How would I patch it up?

Depends on how little the missing chunk is and where it's located .

This seems as good as any to get involved in (man I've missed mopeds...).

Anyway - new foam. If you're cheap, you can work with layered carpet cushioning, but it's worth it to get good stuff from a fab or upholstry store (or maybe Amazon). Treats also had covers at one time; but no first hand exp with those.

Ever get it running? And where's Janeway in this thread?

Captain Janeway /

I just happened to open

Don't usually chime in Expresses, just Urbans.

People don't like my first answer when I see a thread like this which is GET THE MANUAL!!

it will answer most of your questions or at least give you basic terminology

Go to projectmoped.com and also looking Fred's Guide in the wiki. Both will answer a lot of your questions. It's a good manual.

You're carb's dirty so you're not getting fuel, you have no compression, etc. If the PO ran without airbox carb is probably filthy. Do some this then come back. Seriously. You'll possibly need to do tuning etc if you go to a pod filter.

Oh, have all the hoses from the autochoke hooked up? Look in manual if you have no idea what I just said. Good luck.

I got it running, also bought the original air box

Captain Janeway /

> Owen Sims Wrote:

> I got it running, also bought the original air box

Yay! What was wrong? Dirty carb?

Yes

> Owen Sims Wrote:

> How would I patch it up?

Get a some foam of similar density (Michael's, Joann Fabric, etc.), cut a piece, glue it in. Get some quilt batting (same source), cover all the foam with the batting and glue it in place. This helps disguise any foam repairs. Then install the seat cover.

Finally!!!

F327B690-AC37-4730-A8CE-7C19F9D405CB.jpeg
image.jpg

Jack Rutherford /

oh yeah!

That's way too fancy for a moped . ;)

Thanks

I started it a little bit ago and it starting line bogging then died, about 5 minutes later it started up again, got out of the drive way and it died again, is it the jet? It also has a junk battery so I kick start it.

What is line bogging ?

I meant like bogging, I also took your guys advice and started using q tips to clean the jet hole and put them on a drill and a bunch of gunk came out of it on the q tip.

Stuck float? Not filling the bowl quick enuf

After you insure that the fuel system is copacetic and it's still doing the same thing , try replacing the condenser . Bosch is the choice of champions . ;)

Does the Urban even have a condenser?

Also when I started it, it looked like on the right of the engine it was smoking. I think that it was coming from the points but maybe not

Jack Rutherford /

there are no points or condenser on the Urban. It's a CDI system.

Is there a stator housing?

> Jack Rutherford Wrote:

> there are no points or condenser on the Urban. It's a CDI system.

I must have been looking at a different model . :(

Jack Rutherford /

stator is under the right side cover.

I got the carb clean and put it on. It keeps bogging and I don’t know why. Me and my neighbor were adjusting the idle and it would drive fine but when you got to the top of the hill and slow down to turn around it would die. It would eventually start up.

What kind of stator housing is this?

64791157-60C9-48B7-B440-F7C831A7BAA0.jpeg

I took the head off of the moped and couldn’t get the other thing off (where the piston sits) but the walls were really smooth and the head gasket looked pretty good. My compression is like 123 psi and it supposed to be around 150 psi. What could be causing the low compression?

Captain Janeway /

The thing where the piston sits? Cylinder? Again, get thee to the manual so you know what you're looking at. If you mean cylinder, sometimes they get stuck especially if they haven't been off in forever. You should be able to pop it off with the handle end of a rubber mallet or the like. DON'T just whack it from the side, you may bend your rod and totally screw yourself.

You want to put in new rings, you might put up a picture of your cylinder so we can look at it. Make sure you have new gaskets, etc before you put it back together. Scrap off all that old base gasket material with a razor. Nice and clean. You want a good seal.

Seriously look at the manual if you're not. It gives good direction on how to screw back on your head bolts (X-pattern), etc. I know I'm a nag about it, but it saves so many headaches.

Jack Rutherford /
urban.png

here's a page from the manual. I'm sure you were referring to the cylinder.

Finally got pictures.

1C073CE0-664B-43DE-92B2-473AEC34532B.jpeg
D6B3A3D9-5B92-45C2-8B30-0EC1592F87B3.jpeg
4389316B-A62C-4E5D-A37B-A4CBB92A8A61.jpeg

Do you guys think the rings look good?