PA 50 Hobbit help

Is there anyone in Northeast Ohio that can help me with a 1978 Honda Hobbit? I just picked it up at a garage sale this morning. My comfort zone is with Minarelli and Franco Morini bikes. I don't need to kit this bike and I don't care that it's a 20 mph machine. I just want to get it running if I can. 1800 miles, complete, with keys, missing a rear reflector... From Pennsylvania, with title as well.(edited)

Re: PA 50 Hobbit help

Great bike, I love mine. These require a spotless fuel system, so start with the tank and petcock, there is a little filter in the petcock, clean all of it up. Have you tried to start it at all?

The seller, who got it from a storage unit, said it had issues with the decompression lever/system. I couldn't tell if it was turning over or not. I'm 54 and this guy was older than me, so I'm not sure if his assessment was accurate. It didn't feel like anything happened when I engaged that lever.(edited)

Barry (Bob) Brown /

After cleaning the carb, plug, tank etc.. I have the stock head with decomp working if you find that it's the issue. As far as lever (rear), are you saying when you have the lever flipped and pedal nothing happens - not turning over engine? Does it have a decent belt on it?

I was referring to decompression lever. The lever on the back works fine. Belt seems ok for now.(edited)

Barry (Bob) Brown /

i've also got a lever setup with the cable too. I kitted mine so do not need those if yours has issues.

I have never used the decompression on mine, I guess get a compression tester and find out if it is stuck open?

Richard Eberline /

Get a ignition spark first. Take the plug out and ground it. Clean points, test external ignition coil wire and cap. remember to take your kill switch out of the picture.

I started with the fuel ssystem, taking the petcock apart and cleaning it. It's either toast or I didn't rebuild it correctly, as it leaks in all three positions. Installed a new plug and had no success. Carb could be flooded as gas is draining out the overflow.

Richard Eberline /

You need a spark to ignite fuel, the correct order in trouble shooting a no start is a SPARK. Then remove all old gas in the tank, fuel line and carb. See my reply above.

I have some kind of spark, but I've seen better. I'll check the gap later today. Then I'll spray some starter fluid into the carb or cylinder. Quite a pain working on this bike because of the design. Are other belt drive bikes the same level of difficulty?

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I have some kind of spark, but I've seen better. I'll check the gap

> later today. Then I'll spray some starter fluid into the carb or

> cylinder. Quite a pain working on this bike because of the design. Are

> other belt drive bikes the same level of difficulty?

I think the Hobbit is one of the easiest bikes to work on due to the variator eliminating a need for a transmission. The carburetor positioning is the absolute worst part about the Hobbit though.

You need to file your points with a points file to get a healthy blue spark. Honestly I wouldn't even touch the points gap unless you file the points and get no progress. You need a healthy blue spark in air; weak spark in air means no spark when there's gas/compression in the cylinder.

Can I file the points without pulling off the flywheel? I have a puller for a Minarelli, but that's a different thread. And do I need a metal file, a cardboard fingernail file, sand paper, or what?

Suppose I clean up the points and my next step is air or fuel. If I wish to try some starter fluid, can I take out the plug and spray it in there, spray some in the decomp hole, or do I need to spray it in the carburator?

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> Can I file the points without pulling off the flywheel? I have a puller

> for a Minarelli, but that's a different thread. And do I need a metal

> file, a cardboard fingernail file, sand paper, or what?

>

> Suppose I clean up the points and my next step is air or fuel. If I

> wish to try some starter fluid, can I take out the plug and spray it in

> there, spray some in the decomp hole, or do I need to spray it in the

> carburator?

Go to O'reilly or Autozone or whatever and buy an ignition points file for like $2. You can line up the flywheel window so that you can get at the points without taking it off. Spraying starter fluid into the airbox is the preferred method.

After you file the points flat , they should be cleaned . I usually spray some brake cleaner on open points and follow that with running a clean dollar bill between closed points .

You might think it overkill , but , it only takes a finger print to fowl a set of points .

hello to all . new to forum. my first post. i have a 1978 honda hobbit, pa501. the 17mph model. did a cylinder check showed 90 psi. is that too low? shop manual gives range from 115 to 170. it ran fine after i installed a new carb last year. this spring i drained tank, added new fuel, cleaned plug, and it will not start, checked positive for spark, not sure if it is getting enough fuel, plug was showing a little wet. any ideas here? i am thinking the reed valve as a potential problem, any help with this is greatly appreciated. i live 30 miles south of canton, ohio. any one know of a mechanic in a 50 mile radius ? i do not have great mechanical skills. would be willing to pay for qualified person to get my hobbit running. thanks in advance. doverjoe

A new set of rings might help your low compression and make starting a lot easier .(edited)

so 90 psi is not enough to have it run?

> joe hunka Wrote:

> so 90 psi is not enough to have it run?

It might run , but , it takes a lot more RPMs to get it there at start .

Try using a drill to start it with low compression . You get a lot more RPMs with a drill than with a kicker or even electric start .

been bitchin alot lately...here goes..., peoples should really post what was their solution. op never gets back which would've helped thread hijacker.

> pat splat Wrote:

> been bitchin alot lately...here goes..., peoples should really post what

> was their solution. op never gets back which would've helped thread

> hijacker.

Agreed . 100% .

We have had rain nearly every day for 6 weeks in northeast ohio. I dont have a garage or any more room in my basement, so I have 4 mopeds under a tarp on my deck. It's just never been dry long enough to ride or work on any moped for more than an hour a day. I bought a plug and points file 2 weeks ago and haven't been able to touch the hobbit in question. I'd love to have closure on this post, trust me.

« Go to Topic — end of thread