Nature made me look like a fool!

Past month I have been having an issue on my Grande where I would fill up the tank then start out on a 20 mile shopping spree. bout 10 miles in I start having WOT gas starving with the motor running out of fuel.

Roadside check for fuel flow out the line is normal and blowing back in the line to dislodge crap at the cock produces no increases flow.

The bike will run great at WOT till the bowl is depleted then I have to run at about 3/4 throttle to keep the level up.

Days later I change the fuel filter thinking that is restricting my fuel enough, plus I give the carb a overhaul with carb cleen and make sure I can see daylight through the orifices. All good.

I fill to the brim then blast away.

Ten miles out the same issue. The replacement filter I put on was a paper element type and really China cheap. I stop on the road and remove the banjo filter. Same thing. I swap out the filtered line for a straight tube line. No good.

Back at home under limited power, I fully drain the tank and pull the carb. I figure I will remove the cock and see if there is a postage stamp floating in my tank.

While the fuel is waterfalling into a gas can I take the carb in the house so I can do a full autopsy.

I hold the jet to the lamp. Clean. I look through the float channel and see light there too. What is restricting my flow??

I round up my torch tip cleaning tool and poke it through the float passage and this tiny Quartz rock rattles to the desk top.

Since the quartz is translucent it would fool my eye into thinking the passage was clear when it was actually blocking 1/2 the flow to my bowl.

When the tank was full gravity was enough to push enough fuel past the rock to keep the bowl full under WOT.

When the tank level dropped the force of gravity on the fuel is reduced so the bowls level could no longer keep feeding WOT.

Since the rock could not have passed between the filters I can only speculate It took up a strategic position neat the banjo fitting. Then at some point I had removed the fitting for whatever maintenance and the rock took the opportunity to suicine leap into the float channel where it has terrorized me for a couple weeks.

Here is a good picture of the offending bit of quartz.

carbpebble001.JPG
carbpebble002.JPG

Re: Nature made me look like a fool!

Well, now we've seen it all! LOL!

Overpriced Parts /

Wow I had a preserved mouse carcass block a fuel petcock before but that was easy to find,

That little rock you found was like finding a needle in a haystack

Crazy! Glad you found it, that would explain a hair puller for sure!

Just to be certain the talented rock could not interfere with with my fuel factories again I swallowed it.

I'm crazy like that.

Brad William /

Nice new word there too! But as an adjective.

"He's been acting kind of suicine lately"

"...the suicine motives of moped modders."

or,

"...the rock took the opportunity for a suicine leap into...

> cheetahchrome . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Just to be certain the talented rock could not interfere with with my

> fuel factories again I swallowed it.

>

> I'm crazy like that.

Now it’s gonna block your “petcock”

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account