1978 Puch Not starting after sitting all winter outside

anthony Pineda /

Hi all,

I just purchased a 1978 Puch,

It is currently not running after what was told to me sitting outside all winter untouched.

Ive changed the spark plug and I'm getting a good spark, Also the kick starting pedal was stuck when i held the clutch to start, but i got it to rotate fine, seems to me im not getting gas, but all lines seem good, is there anything else i should try? It also has 2 push down knobs at the choke (see picture) when i press them i do not feel like its sucking anything up.

Please Help!

Thanks

F572CCB0-A2ED-40F6-AA0B-61245F3DF544.jpeg
A6C20BC7-43D1-4BBC-9365-56A5F81516C1.jpeg

Re: 1978 Puch Not starting after sitting all winter outside

Overpriced Parts /

Put some gas, about sold a straw worth of 50to1 pre-mix gas in the spark plug hole in head, heat spark plug up with a lighter and then reinstall it, pedal the the crap out of it and see if it fires

Have you cleaned the carb yet?

anthony Pineda /

No, i dont know much about these, where is the carb located or whats it look like?

anthony Pineda /

Will try,

drain old gas n add fresh pre mix. gas plus oil equals premix.

If you can't figure out where the carburetor is, or even what one looks like, you're gonna have a rough go of it. We all gotta start somewhere, but you at least need mechanical aptitude or you're screwed.

Here's a hint. Follow the fuel line, and see where it goes.

Read Fred's guide in the wiki, you do have the petcock in the on position right?

OG Crazy Wayne /

You definitely need to clean the carburetor the old gasoline has evaporated but the oil has not so you have goo blocking the Jet and orifices in the carburetor

I suggest you pull the flywheel off and inspect the cam lobe for the points for rust pits they love to sit exactly at the point that the points are opening and rust pits make the timing go crazy you need to clean all the rest off if it has pits get a new flywheel clean and recap the points at Seventeen thousandths of an inch if you do not have a blue spark and the spark appears to be orange your condenser is dying replace it will the real Bosh or one piggyback on the HT coil and disconnect the one on the stator if you run a piggyback condenser

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account