Replacement shocks for Motrons

I'm in the process of getting all my Minarelli V1 motors rebuilt this year for 13 bikes, 9 of which are Motrons. The first 2 motors have been returned to me and I'm getting both bikes roadworthy with new tires, tubes, chains, spark plug coils, petcocks, fuel lines, filters, greasing the wheel and fork bearings, all the usual things.

One of the bikes is pretty high mileage and the stock shocks are pretty cheap to begin with. The rear tire is rubbing the fender. It's a quarter inch wider than the stock tire, which means an extra 8th inch wider on each side. I've put these tires on a few other bikes with no problem. The specs are 280 mm length with 10 mm bolt holes.

Should use the same size replacement shock or get something a little longer, like a 290 or 300 mm?

This bike might also get turned into a trike with a Pryer rear end. Any body out there convert a Motron to a trike and have to get longer shocks?

Re: Replacement shocks for Motrons

Richard Eberline /

you can go larger, this will raise the bike with a little pre load.

Re: Replacement shocks for Motrons

I just finished replacing my Motron’s shocks with maxi EBRs from treats.

The forks seem great compared to motrons janky forks. Sturdy and look good.

The threads that come out the headset are longer than stock so you’ll need a spacer either below bottom race or drop the fork tubes and space at top below top fork nut (or have very deep top fork nut). If you drop the tubes you would end up with slightly longer forks than stock. Used the bottom race I didn’t use from the kit to space mine up top, may switch to bottom spacer later, who knows. (Pictured)

Forks used:

https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=puch-EBR-maxi-w/brace-F035261

As far as races go, I purchased the maxi set below. The bottom race works perfectly with the motron bottom race in head tube.

The top needs to be the opposite side of the race than what is in there. Another motron bottom was mentioned in a different post, that would work beautifully. Unfortunately I didn’t have one of those so I removed the motrons top race and had to shave a mm or two off the inside of the tube to get the new maxi race to get in there, slightly smaller diameter but with a little work fits beautifully.

Race and Bearing set:

https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=puch-maxi-headset-bearings-set

Not sure if this should helps but why not?

Shim used:

https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=fork-race-shim-medium

As far as the only other challenge I had to extend the opening on the brake catch on my snowflake wheels. The EBR tab is closer to axle than on the motron forks. Not bad to do. Different wheels and hubs may not require this. The wheel flips to the other side for brake catch, btw.

If you have any questions hit me up. Good luck! Hope this helps anyone in the future needing to replace motron forks!

F9391A5F-4F7A-41B4-87C2-041228596D05.jpeg
26004CDB-5484-4348-B5DA-E5765707079C.jpeg
6A2A6EA2-E8C2-4F2C-A749-18F436E2E270.jpeg
« Go to Topic — end of thread