Garelli ignition

Hi hope someone can help me here.

so i have a garelli eureka from 1973 with the noi one-gear automatic transmission. (no rear suspension so a hardtail sold here in denmark but that is not important)

after 46 years the capacitor had gone bad and turned of after 1-2 hours of riding. so i aimed to fix it

so i bought a new one and fitted it. it fired up and ran nicely for 10-20 minutes then i put it away for that day.

took a little trip on it some days after and it ran like crap. the ignition only happend sometimes making it kind of "skip" strokes. and of course it could not idle.

so what is my problem is the new capisator bad or have the contact breakers gone bad?

Re: Garelli ignition

sometimes its just a loose wire, garellis have that external ignition hroung that power the brake light, so thru switches both, thru brake light filament down housing around fender, down frame back to coil ground. check those and run a new condenser...again...

1973? Is this the two wire Bosch ignition with the yellow wire for the lights and back wire for the kill switch with the internal coil on the stator?

OG Crazy Wayne /

Check the ignition points the little cam follower on the points arm their rides on the bump of the flywheel those tend to get dried out rust pits in them wearing down the cam follower the the points close and your ignition timing decreases along with your power till it runs no more.

Use lithium grease on the cam lobe after you clean the surface rust off the cam if it has rust pits at the point where the points are opening you will need a new flywheel or at least one that is serviceable.(edited)

> Stephen Simmons Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> 1973? Is this the two wire Bosch ignition with the yellow wire for the

> lights and back wire for the kill switch with the internal coil on the

> stator?

yeah, im probably wrong again. check all 2 wires then.

hi sorry for not answering but have been a bit busy.

i bought a new capisator and fitted it instead. now it phurrs like a Kitten again.

thanks for the help

« Go to Topic — end of thread