2010 Tomos needs repair.

Anyone near 44512, Youngstown Ohio suburb, willing to fix my low mileage Tomos Sprint? I will pay both labor and costs.

Re: 2010 Tomos needs repair.

I think my local gang is the "Black Pipes". No one there scans the repair forum?

I'd even take the Sprint to a professional repair facility. Costly. But I'm ready to ride.

Just took early retirement from General Motors Lordstown, (more like a forced retirement since they closed the plant).

I'm ready to ride my 2010 Sprint, but it needs some TLC.

Anyone near Youngstown, Ohio want to make a some money for their project bike?

If not, is there a shop in the Youngstown/Akron area, that I can take my moped and get it reliable??

Joe

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Well one of the points of this forum is to actually fix it yourself post-up what your problem is and somebody might help you with it .

Again, I'd prefer an independent rider/repair.

But if no one's available in NE OHIO, I would take to a shop

Not many left fixing two stoke Tomos.

If you know of any shops within 60 miles, I could live with that.

Please recommend a shop or person. I'm willing to pay for both retail and labor.

Just give me some names/numbers.

I've bought Minarelli V1 parts from this website,

Got great deals and been burned a couple of times on junk.

Joe

I spent 12 hours trying to fire it up, I did get it running for a few minutes.

Early spring, Two lane road. Got forced off the road by a car. I hit,what I thought was a puddle, Reality it was a pot hole 8" deep. Once I hit that, I hit a curb entrance to a home.

Wouldn't start or run except for a few seconds after the curb hit.

nnermitand spark,

but the plug is wet. getin

I've already spent 12 hours trying to diagnose the problem. I have intermittent spark,

but the plug is wet.

I'm 65 y/o, I'm still sore from the ignitional diagnosis.

Not sure I can put another 12 hours into it.

Thank you, very much, for your reply, I appreciate it,

Joe

Hi White Dog:

thx for reply So far you're the only MA to do so.

I'm 65 y/o. Forced retirement from GM Lordstown. I'd like to ride around my neighborhood, but the Tomos Sprint is uncooperative.

First chance I got in early spring, Tomos Sprint started well, but was missing at full throttle. Then I got forced off the road, by a couple of SUV's. Ended up hitting a puddle. Only it wasn't a puddle, it was a pot hole deep by about 8 inches.

After hitting that, i ended up hitting a driveway approach, then my Tomos Quit.

f

hey joseph, if u bring it down to steubenville in a month or so id be happy to take a look at it. pm me and we can set up a time, if your front rim bent from the whoopsie let me know i probably got a rim.

Pat's ur man. Intermittent spark after a crash ...think ignition , think the hall sensor or it's wiring. The tomos has a complex wiring harness. Take off both side covers and start inspecting. Your sprint definitely is a premix model and no oil pump for sure ? Simplifies repairs !!!

derek from black pipes moped gang /

Hey dude, I’ll take a look at it. I’m in Austintown.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

It's a 2010 I think that the external trigger for the Magneto when it hit that pothole got moved

More details about my Tomos.

I don't think I was out of the throttle, then forced off the road, happened that quick.

Pretty sure I hit the curb with the clutches engaged.

I pulled the plug and changed it for a new NGK BR8ES. No start.

When I replace the plug with my spark tester, it lights up.

With the plug out of the moped, and boot plugged in, no spark between the electrodes. Yet I get good "test light" when I substitute my spark tester, instead of the plug. Enough spark, that even with rubber gloves on, I'm getting shocked.

I think either I sheared off a crankshaft "key", or something else in the ignition.

I visually checked the wiring on the front end/fork, nothing looks damaged.

I also have a Cimatti City Bike and a Vespa Grande. Both are points/condenser ignition and I have replaced both parts. As an aside, the Cimatti had me really confused, everything new and no start. For some reason, the Italians included the rear brake light (that was burned out on my City Bike), as a vital part of starting the process. A flick of a toggle switch, under the headlight, and she fired right up.

I appreciate all comments. I've never worked on a CD ignition with Hall effect.

Right now, I don't know where to check first: wiring on the front end, possible carb problems, or more likely an ignition problem.

Again, it will light up my spark tester, but it won't generate enough volts to cross a spark plug terminal. NGK is set at factory gap, around .032.

Thanks for all your advice so far,

I'm getting too old to lay on the ground for two days trying to get a moped started.

Really could use some help.

Joe Martin

It is a Tomos Sprint, no oil injection. Just premix.

Prior to starting it this year, I drained the stale gas, bought 5 gallons of Ethanol free gas, and mixed some of my Mobil 1 Two stroke stash into the tank. I'm not too crazy about 50:1, so I mixed a batch at around 40-45 to one.

> Joseph Martin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It is a Tomos Sprint, no oil injection. Just premix.

>

> Prior to starting it this year, I drained the stale gas, bought 5

> gallons of Ethanol free gas, and mixed some of my Mobil 1 Two stroke

> stash into the tank. I'm not too crazy about 50:1, so I mixed a batch at

> around 40-45 to one.

Did you see that Derek guy who responded saying he'd help you?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yeah if it's a 2010 it's a CDI and it is not compatible with appoints model it's apples and oranges you need a CDI control box with a CDI whereas the point set requires a high tension coil and a condenser

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Joseph Martin Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > It is a Tomos Sprint, no oil injection. Just premix.

>

> >

>

> > Prior to starting it this year, I drained the stale gas, bought 5

>

> > gallons of Ethanol free gas, and mixed some of my Mobil 1 Two stroke

>

> > stash into the tank. I'm not too crazy about 50:1, so I mixed a batch

> at

>

> > around 40-45 to one.

>

> Did you see that Derek guy who responded saying he'd help you?

Yes, I forgot to thank him. Pat Splat in Steubenville also offered to help.

It will be one or the other.

"Pat" got one additional recommendation from a fellow MA member.

I value feedback like that.

Derek is a lot closer. And I've seen the Black Pipes running around Austintown occasionally. Or at least 2-3 Mopeds. I'm assuming they were the Black Pipes.

hey joe im no expert mechanic if u wanna take a shorter trip to derek no prob with me.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Hey crazy thing about Thomas's if you look inside the tail light housing there is also a ceramic resistor and if that's broke that could be your problem

PM Sent

Dude see pat

derek from black pipes moped gang /

I’m also no expert and I’ve never worked on a tomos.

Pat is your man.

OK, that's importance, Are any of your buddies familiar with newer Tomos's?

OK, just went out to the garage to see if it would start. It will start, but only for about 10 seconds. Then it quits. So am I looking for a spark or fuel problem??

Will not restart, not even for a few seconds.

Any other attempt at starting, is useless. Wont' even sputter.

Joe

sounds flooded. try a new plug or two br7es. but b4 u install cycle the motor w ignition off petcock off to blow out whatever. squirt some premix into the plug hole, ignition on, leave the petcock off for now. and see if she'll run off the squirt for a few seconds. if it does, then u just need a carb clean at worst.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

And just for s**** and giggles check that resistor that I'm talking about it's inside of the tail light housing underneath the bulbs the plastic panel will pry up and you can get access underneath after you take off the reflectors if the problem persists and it's not the carburetor if your brake system works you could tell by holding in the front brake when you start it it will start easier and idle with the front brake on I've been riding Thomas's for 20 years

♣Slew Foot♣ /

If it starts normally and will idle with the break-in then it's that ceramic resistor otherwise start at step one empty out the gas tank drain it through the petcock make sure everything flows then after it's all emptied out take your carb off take all the Plastics off put it in white vinegar overnight rinse it with water blow it out put it all back together check the intake on the cylinder turn it over with the carb off make sure the reads work right then disconnect the kill switch so that you know it's not malfunctioning put your finger over the intake and turn it over you shouldn't hear any hissing noises it should be hard to turn over and it might suck your finger in next you attach the spark plug electrode to your tongue I'm just kidding make sure you have a spark when you turn it over put it all back together take the cap off of your tank run it also if you have an oil pump or oil reservoir block off the line and use premix block off the oil inlet into the intake also it should run

Thanks Pat Splatt and Derek:

I've worked on cars with similar ignition before. I just decided to take everything apart and clean it, especially the Carb. It's a 2010 that's probably been sitting for 7 years with the same gas. I did drain the tank, but didn't change the "Bosna" (?) spark plug at first. (Regardless of what I said above).

The NGK I installed had a factory setting that was just too big. Narrowed it down to about .030", my Tomos Sprint is now running decent.

Next question, (please don't flame me for asking, I already spent a week trying to get the Tomos running by using the archives). What is restricting the top speed of my Sprint? Gearing, Carb, Intake?? I'm getting run off the road, by not being able to keep up with traffic. Right now, about 30 mph downhill with a wind. That's what lead my first curb hit. Effen cagers in giant SUV's with trailer towing mirrors, passing each other on a narrow side street. I just ran out of room to move over and forced into a a pothole, then gravel.

I need a few more MPH to keep up with traffic. Right now I'm a sitting duck.

If you rather I post to the performance section, so be it.

If you have a link to the archives on how to get a few more mph, please link.

Thanks again Pat Splatt and Derek, for offering to fix my bike.

MA is correct. Learn to fix these moped yourself, by asking forum questions.

Joe Martin.

The easiest cures are so freaking simple. In fact there used to or maybe still is a complete mod kit : biturbo pipe , bigger jet and a foam uni intake. It works like a charm. If u r not climbing hills u also put on a smaller rear cog on the rear wheel. Go down two or four teeth . That's the most bang for the buck. No reason to go to anything but a stock jug of u r trying to get to 40-42 mph. Don't even need a temp gauge on the bike. The stock head is enormous. It's the superior moped design except for the quality control .

Hi Marc:

Thx for your suggestions. Where do I buy this kit, Treats? Part numbers, links, jet sizes, whatever? I'm just looking for 35 mph.

Any links to what exhaust to run, and what jet to run, would be extremely helpful.

I'd buy the entire set up to get a few more MPH.

Do you have a link, I deal with Treats a lot. Just toss me a link on what you recommend in you original answer. I'd order it tomorrow, and give props to you.

Thx for taking the time to answer,

Joe Martin

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account