Tell me about my piston please...

Just disassembled my hobbit top end to find this. Tell me why my piston looks like this please...and what to do about it. Was originally taking apart to apply spray gasket sealer to my gaskets to eliminate air leaks, then I find this..

Thanks guys

9ADD93D7-F345-4411-A1B0-6EBE05C3DCAF.jpeg

Re: Tell me about my piston please...

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

You mean the black carbon buildup?

Yup. Basically a brand new kit, less than like 10 actual miles on it, the bike isn’t even tunes yet. Just feel like that’s an abnormal amount no?

Chöschi21 C.K. /

To cold Plug, Way rich, To much/ Wrong oil?

Ahh yes the plug. When I purchased the kit I got a new plug to go with it-without thinking bought the plug for the stock cylinder. Have been assuming it’d be alright for tuning... Thanks for narrowing that down for me

Generally a stock plug will be hotter not colder. That's rich and possibly crappy oil. What are you running? Has good transfer flow though.

Red line at 50:1

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Iv'e heard stories about RedLine not burning well in low performance applications? si it is an oil formulated for racing (maximum protection, with frequent rebuilding in mind)

And you may be jetted too rich as well. How does it run, and what does the plug look like? It does look like alot for 10 miles

Run a bp6hs spark plug

Redline sucks!

Chöschi21 C.K. /

if the Plug is way to cold you might get to much carbon build up, but with the stock Plug it's probably running hot, so that wouldn't be the problem.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Looks to me like you are running much richer than 50:1 and hot at that. The cylinder flow is good, but your temps/mix are bad

Richard Eberline /

50 to 1 is 2.56 ounces of 2 stroke oil to a gallon of gas, (128 oz)

Timed the motor. I need to see the plug and Red Line is rated one of the top 2 stroke oils. By the people that know something and are very knowledgeable.

it is cool to see the nice cylinder wash patterns where the frsh mix is rolling thru the transfers.

What's your pipe? it may also jus not be breathing enough out.

Dan (high idle) Conway /

Looks like it’s running pretty rich in the oil department

It’s a proma circuit pipe. Dr cylinder. Vm20, which could in fact be jetted improperly....? Just running the main jet it came with then plopped in a 17.5 idle jet. No amount of tuning I do to the carb affects the running of the bike though, hence me wanting to eliminate any air leaks

Its not bad. I would question oil type and amount if anything.

post-10378-0-82010500-1303170545.gif

♣Slew Foot♣ /

If you run Marvel Mystery Oil once a month with your two stroke you will find no residue on your piston

Air leaks.....tell me more?!? What type of spay gasket maker you trying to use?

I would cut a new gasket and soak it in oil before I sprayed anything on it.

Also, adjusted t2 oil ratios will affect fuel ratio too.

If you remove oil there is more gas (richer). You may need to re jet or at least check.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account