PA50II carburetor fuel inlet loose

Jessie Paull /

So I'm working on my first moped that currently does not run - I picked up a '79 Honda Hobbit from a guy who said it probably just needed a cleaned carb.

I've been reading through all the threads and wikis on this bike, and after looking the bike over I think that a bad compression lever may be the issue (seems to be seized at the cylinder). I've already checked that it has spark, and it does start to turn over like it wants to start.

Looking at the carb I noticed the brass fuel inlet on the side is extremely loose and freely slides in and out.

At some point someone installed new petcock and fuel line, and the guy I bought it from cleaned the carb at some point too. I'm wondering if the loose fuel inlet is normal, or if this could be causing fuel and/or air leaks? If this is not normal, how exactly would I go about fixing it? I imagine I would have to pull the whole carb?(edited)

IMG_20190707_122516.jpg

Re: PA50II carburetor fuel inlet loose

Thats a problem.

Method of repair depends on how much slop it has. Ive used bearing locker on semi snug fitments.

You really need to remove that carb for inspection before deciding on a plan.(edited)

Mine was always loose, never leaked or fell out and wasn't a problem. That is not where air leaks come from. That is purely a fuel inlet to the float bowl. Fuel hasn't even been drawn up from the bowl into the atomizer to be mixed with air yet.

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Mine was always loose, never leaked or fell out and wasn't a problem.

> That is not where air leaks come from. That is purely a fuel inlet to

> the float bowl. Fuel hasn't even been drawn up from the bowl into the

> atomizer to be mixed with air yet.

I have seen some that did rotate without leaking on jap motorcycles. If its not leaking fuel do not worry about it. Its probably got an o-ring inside.

It doesn't but it's such a close fit that it didn't leak in my case. I just left the elbow in the line and pulled it from the carb every time I needed to take it off the bike.

Jessie Paull /

I tapped it in tighter and it doesn't seem to leak. So I guess I'll just keep an eye on it?

Jessie Paull /

Well - inlet started leaking like it's nobody's business, no matter how much I tap it in. Anyone know if I can just replace the brass inlet (what size?), or if there's a better way to address this?

This carb has been such a pain I've considered replacing it, but I'm worried any clone will be inferior.

get some gas resistant epoxy, rough up n then clean w brake cleaner, and smear the brass end with epoxy, let dry in desired position.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account