Gadabout w/V1 no spark. condensor ?

Soooo i picked up a sweet '78 Gadabout! V1 engine, when turning over i have a headlight and horn, but No taillight! put a new bulb in, still nothing

pulled the harness out and disconnected the blue wire. grounded the blue wire (which i believe is for the tails?), turning it over Still no spark :(

so my next guess is the condensor ? has a New coil on it from treats to replace the 6317 (i think that's the coil part number, excuse me if im off)

confirmed the kill switch is NOT grounding out, i took it apart to make sure

Also confirmed points Are opening up. need a flywheel puller to get in there and clean em and replace the condenser anyway

thoughts? i'll try to get some pics uploaded today..

Re: Gadabout w/V1 no spark. condensor ?

A bad condensor wont keep the tail light from working. A bad mag coil would.(edited)

Richard Eberline /

I have started over 30 V1, 6.5 ohm resister in the tail light. Get a 6 volt lantern battery at a hardware, a pair of jumper leads and have working bulbs 5/10watt.

remove the black wire and the blue wire from your terminal block. jumper main frame wires not the stator wires. Jumper the black to positive on the battery and jumper negtive to the frame a good ground spot. Turn on the headlight switch all running light will work. turn off light switch. DO NOT push the AC horn Button.

Remove jumper to black wire and jumper it to the blue wire, press the brake light switches handle, should light up.

Multimeter positive to the red stator wire and black to a frame or engine ground.

Set on ohm with noise, turn flywheel in arrow direction, when the points open and close you will hear it or see it on the meter. All works good, kill switch, external coil or wire to it. All good external coil wire and cap test. Condenser is bad at this point.

PM me after that.(edited)

> Richard Eberline Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I have started over 30 V1, 6.5 ohm resister in the tail light. Get a 6

> volt lantern battery at a hardware, a pair of jumper leads and have

> working bulbs 5/10watt.

>

> remove the black wire and the blue wire from your terminal block. jumper

> main frame wires not the stator wires. Jumper the black to positive on

> the battery and jumper negtive to the frame a good ground spot. Turn on

> the headlight switch all running light will work. turn off light switch.

> DO NOT push the AC horn Button.

>

> Remove jumper to black wire and jumper it to the blue wire, press the

> brake light switches handle, should light up.

>

> Multimeter positive to the red stator wire and black to a frame or

> engine ground.

>

> Set on ohm with noise, turn flywheel in arrow direction, when the points

> open and close you will hear it or see it on the meter. All works good,

> kill switch, external coil or wire to it. All good external coil wire

> and cap test. Condenser is bad at this point.

>

> PM me after that.

cool stuff! going to philly rally tomorrow so i might not get to it til next week but i'll post updates here! much thanks

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account