Engine Shuts off when stopped

Sierra LuluViola /

I have been trying to figure out why my 1978 Peugeot 103 engine shuts off when I stop at a stop sign/light. When I have it running on the kick stand with the back wheel up, it idles great even when use the break to stop the wheel from spinning.

Although, as soon as I put the kickstand up, and have the moped stopped the engine shuts off again.

I changed the spark plug and cleaned the air filer and the carburetor. I have adjusted the air to fuel ratio. Still having this problem.

I feel like I am missing something. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Engine Shuts off when stopped

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Check your lights and Horn one of them is out the high-tension coil will cut out at idle as a safety feature when one of these is out if you have no outed bulbs and your horn works check the wiring going to the tail check for continuity to see if it's grounded out somewhere repost after checking these and then you go from there

If it stops abruptly when you stop then it is a stuck clutch, if it spools down when stopped then it is electrical or fuel. Idling perfect on the stand but not when the wheel is touching the ground sounds more like stuck or dragging clutch.

try turning up your idle a tad.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account