Tomos ,a55 clutch shuttering

Hey, anyone have clutch shuttering on Tomos a55 that relined with Kevlar shoes can't stay in the pipe or go up hill without it shuttering at the shift ?

Re: Tomos ,a55 clutch shuttering

> Jim Bekker Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hey, anyone have clutch shuttering on Tomos a55 that relined with Kevlar

> shoes can't stay in the pipe or go up hill without it shuttering at the

> shift ?

If clutch lining is good I'd guess sprag clip of your carb is jetted properly also.

Pretty sure it's a clutch issue ?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Too much play in the shoes maybe that star spring thingy and your clutch nut might be going bad catching my drift there should be like .05 millimeter of axial play so that I can shift so if you really tightened it down it might shudder when it goes to shift

Yes Im using kevlar 2. Its best to get the bike to shift sooner use different oils/atf mix or let off the throttle and let it shift. Fyi I dont run a spag clip in my bike if it breaks it can cause damage to the gears.(edited)

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

In my experience, any lining besides cork on the clutch can cause shuddering.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

You do know that that second speed return spring that always falls off and into the gears actually does something it lets it return from second to First if you don't have it it will shutter when it downshifts when that spring isn't there it will wear out your one way bearing inside of the clutch also your Kickstarter caged inside of the middle gear set

My bike been running 4 years without it

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yeah they're kind of designs like that but eventually when it does fail everything is going to be shot

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Oh and when it does fail at that point you'll have to replace almost the whole interior of the case because it will cause bearing problems all the way to the drive wheel it's really so you when something goes wrong it will get your home so you can fix it

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I ran mine that way for years my buddy Boris ran his like that for years and what it does feel like I said you just take out the innards and throw them in the trash I personally when I put a new one in I take that? Spring and I solder it in place

If your chain is too loose it can also cause issues shifting. So double check your chain and make sure it's tight enough.

As others have said if your sprag clip is missing or your carb isn't jetted properly that could also cause this issue.

Or a unbalanced bell could be a issue 2

^or unbalanced clutch arms

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Broken brake strip

Turned the bell in engine lathe to balance !

IMG_20190816_022556.jpg
IMG_20190816_022511.jpg

Found out the problem was pin and first gear clutch check

Pics out ? You can see chadder in both maybe pics are to small to see but it 's there !

IMG_20190816_022313.jpg
IMG_20190816_022426.jpg
« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account