Ciao ignition problem

Engine misses, max speed: a sputtering 15mph!

New condenser

Voltage across the input of the ignition coil and ground is <0.5 volts.

Head light, tail light and brake light operation normal.

Possible causes of the miss?

Re: Ciao ignition problem

possible dirty points, worn points, unlubed rusty cam, bad timing, too rich, bad timing, clogged filter, bad brake switch, bad connection on rear brake bulb, bad connection on plug wires, faulty coil, etc.

New points , lubed cam, proper sized main jet, timing correct, air filter clean, copper core plug wire w/ good connections on both ends, brake light works properly.

Should the voltage into the coil be more than 1/2 volt?(edited)

-An Uncompression valve is leaking?

-Woodruff key is being bent, the timing will get off.

-the exhaust is getting stuck.

-dirt on a carb

-Good compression

-Key straight

-Exhaust is not blocked

-Carb bowl & jet clean

-Inline fuel filter clean

Should the voltage into the coil be more than 1/2 volt?

Check the wiring off the coils I had the same issue on my dads si and this is what the wiring looked like.

79051165-7B4D-4F79-9E20-36F753FB4B28.jpeg

Dirty30 Dillon /

I think it's obvious that a 6v ignition system cannot function on .5 volts. I would venture to guess that's Joe's cause is leading to your effect.

Thanks. Can you take an input voltage reading on the ignition coil and post it here?

Dirty30 Dillon /

I think you are asking for output voltage from stator coil, and it should be ~6v. There is no inputting voltage into a single phase AC coil.

What is the voltage reading on a running piaggo engine as measured between the spade connection on the ignition coil and the engine/frame ground?

Thanks for the photo. Would you be so kind as to provide a photo of the voltage measurement between the spade input on the coil and the ground on the running engine?

Dirty30 Dillon /

It should be 6-8v nominal. I am not going to take a picture.

New spark plug?

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account