v1 low compression- won't start

derek cuellar /

SOS-

1. I have gas.

2. I have spark.

3. I believe my compression is low.

4. wiring is fine I just re did it.

I put my finger in the spark plug hole and peddled the with my arm while I had the clutch held down with a zip-tie and the piston failed to push my finger out, although I did feel it slightly try. Is this a good enough test?

Okay Okay, after taking apart the cylinder many of times and trying to put new piston rings on to only find out that I have the "rare 38.7mm" stock size piston, then ordering the (2) correct size rings and breaking one of them trying to put them on. I ask you guys, should my v1 be able to run with 1 old ring and 1 new ring? I already tried to start the bike like this but it never turned over.

The only solutions I can think of to fix this, is to obviously purchase another ring, but I'm also afraid of it being a carb issue as well. Am I wrong about this? Honestly I'm about done with trying to get this thing to run now, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: If anyone has the v1 38.7mm ring for the low. lmk! Or if you are in NYC and want to help a brother out, I'll repay you beer and/or smoke you out (420 friendly guys).

Re: v1 low compression- won't start

i like pictures, cylinder condition? piston condition, r u using new gaskets?

have you taken the cylinder off yet? do that, investigate and report back.

derek cuellar /

Fixed the compression issue. Now I'm just trying to figure out the timing. I found that at almost TDC the points were closing, so I flipped the stator around the other way and now it's opening as it approaches TDC. I am trying to find the right gap and start it, but still no luck.

HELP

IMG_20190815_190601.jpg

> derek cuellar Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Fixed the compression issue.

Great . Now tell us exactly what you did to accomplish that .

And , your stator looks a bit wet . Maybe oily kinda wet . Clean it out with brake cleaner and compressed air .

derek cuellar /

changed rings and gaskets.

Is it okay that I flipped the stator? I couldn't adjust the gap because the flywheel was covering the points.

I'll try the cleaner as well.

If there is oil on your stator , it's time to replace the crank seal behind the stator plate .

I don't understand what you mean by 'flip the stator' .

derek cuellar /

The "oil" is the fuel spill from the petcock.

So I physically flipped the stator plate upside down. Points used to be located at the top of the flywheel and now they are located at the bottom. Make sense?

Dude I've never worked on a v1, but I think your timed like 180 degrees out now from flipping the stator.unless you can move the points cam on a v1, in which case I'm a dummy. The points should start closing near tdc, why did you flip it?(edited)

derek cuellar /

I flipped it because 1. The window wasn't lining up with the points to adjust. 2. It was closing at TDC not opening.

Alex Yampolskiy /

Did you hone the cylinder or the compression was fixed without it?

derek cuellar /

Fixed without it

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account