Giving up on getting this tire to fit.

Tomas Molinari /

16 x 2.25 tire and tube, not sure why it won't go in with my tire irons. The rim is precisely for that particular fit.

Maybe I was wrong to buy a Shinko tire?

IMG_20190811_172921.jpg

Re: Giving up on getting this tire to fit.

Spray the bead and rim with watery dish soap and be sure the already inserted bead is in the deepest part of the rim . The soap will hurt nothing and help you have cleaner hands when done . ;)

It looks from here that the bead that's on the rim already isn't down into the center well of the rim. Push as much of that side's bead down into the center well of the rim as deep you can get it. That will give you more slack so the final bit will go on.

tire.jpg

(edited)

Tomas Molinari /

The soap helped. Thanks!

Tomas Molinari /

I pried a bit of the tire and reseated it and added soap to go center side now. It worked. I had to put a little more oomph at the middle once much of it was put into the rim.

Tomas Molinari /

On another side note, is the direction of the tire correct? It only said "drive" with the arrow pointing the other way, but I remember when I put the Michelin Gazelle's on my Honda C100, both tires needed to be put on different directions.

I hope I got it right to put the rear Shinko tire opposite direction of the front.

dont think it matters.

Tomas Molinari /

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> dont think it matters.

You sure? Even if the road is a bit wet?

direction of the tire absolutely matters. most treads are only designed to provide adequate traction in one direction.

next time, leave the tire in the sun for a while. softening it up makes it suuuuuper easy. but its really on necessary for really stiff stuff like m46's

> Tomas Molinari Wrote:

> > pat splat Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > dont think it matters.

>

> You sure? Even if the road is a bit wet?

I hate to tell ya, but if that wheel is for a Targa the tire is on there backwards. Yes it matters. I circled the arrow and what says "drive". Targa is left hand drive wheel and that arrow is pointing in wrong direction. Practice makes perfect.

Screenshot_2019-08-12-01-19-34.png

Tire direction explained here.

Screenshot_2019-08-12-01-19-34.jpg

Dirty30 Dillon /

It's a moped, you will live if it's the wrong way.

if you take it off to flip it in the right direction, you should try installing with the "zip-tie trick".

I've put on lotsa tires that way, even cold gazelles and city pro's are surprisingly easy.

I use cable ties with the little push to release tabs so I don't have to cut them afterwards and can reuse them

> Den 23 Wrote:

> Tire direction explained here.

> >

Thank you for running that pic through a filter to brighten up.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> It's a moped, you will live if it's the wrong way.

(edited)

If it were cloudy or cold, would soaking the tire in a tub of hot water work the same as letting it set in the sun?

I dont like to get tires wet when installing. Makes it easier to slip onto the tube.

Hair dryer would work tho

Overpriced Parts /

Zip ties method is way easier because tire goes into middle of rim which is smaller

9A747120-E9BE-403D-9FC4-7DFEE1FCC3EA.jpeg
F5FB0CE7-7446-4F5F-8204-963691026ED5.jpeg

I've always tried to use the KISS ( Keep I Simple , Stupid ) method .

Why make the job more complicated than needed ?

A little dish soap and a couple screwdrivers gets the job done before you even find the zip ties . And , you get to use those zip ties for what they were intended ... snugging cables / wiring neatly out of the way and securing prisoners hands behind their backs . ;)

Overpriced Parts /

> P D Wrote:

> I've always tried to use the KISS ( Keep I Simple , Stupid ) method .

>

> Why make the job more complicated than needed ?

>

> A little dish soap and a couple screwdrivers gets the job done before

> you even find the zip ties . And , you get to use those zip ties for

> what they were intended ... snugging cables / wiring neatly out of the

> way and securing prisoners hands behind their backs . ;)

The secret to getting a tire on easy it is to get both of the beads of the tire in the middle of the rim where it smaller right away and throughout the whole process

Blacks zip are only for temporary use (not for prisoners they have stronger ones them ha ha)

Don't use water (which dish soap contains mostly) on steel rims because they will rust from the inside from the get go.

No tools against the painted rims means no chips and on Chrome plated rims means no scratches in the chrome by the tire which will cause rust,

Even if you cannot see the marks left by tire irons because hid by the tire, corrosion in aluminum rims and rust in the steel rim will form there why would you want that,

I’ve been changing tires since age 8 and I’d have to say the zip ties is the best method for Mopeds/small bikes because it gets the bead of both sides of the tire right into the middle of the rim and keeps it there and it doesn’t pinch tubes,

Most times the tire and tube goes on with just with your hands and if you do need a tire iron at the very end it’s just one pull of the tire iron and that’s it,

Believe me I was a unbeliever too but now that’s the only way I do it

I'll have to try that zip tie method. Ive popped about 4 tubes and actually torn a tire in the last couple months, and that was with using tire irons instead of screw drivers.

Zip tie method is like a million times easier than not using them. You basically don't have to worry about popping a tube because the partially inflated tube is enclosed within the zip tied tire.

I know there's no 'right' way , but , I'll keep doing it like I have for the last 50 ish years without a problem or the aggravation of zip ties or special 'spoons' . The only time consuming thing is grabbing the dish soap as I pass through the kitchen and remembering to put it back .

As for not using water , that's a joke isn't it ? If it were true , you should never go through a mud puddle or even think about washing the bike , let alone leaving it in the rain . ;)

Ive changed dirt bike tires by hand and my sprint. Look those are day tripper mags. I could put that tire rest of way on without tools just my hands. Rub dish soap on the inner rim and the tire beed and force it on.

> P D Wrote:

> I know there's no 'right' way , but , I'll keep doing it like I have for

> the last 50 ish years without a problem or the aggravation of zip ties

> or special 'spoons' . The only time consuming thing is grabbing the dish

> soap as I pass through the kitchen and remembering to put it back .

>

> As for not using water , that's a joke isn't it ? If it were true , you

> should never go through a mud puddle or even think about washing the

> bike , let alone leaving it in the rain . ;)

Its a little different when you are trapping the moisture inside of the bead

> alex . Wrote:

> > P D Wrote:

>

>

> > I know there's no 'right' way , but , I'll keep doing it like I have

> for

>

> > the last 50 ish years without a problem or the aggravation of zip ties

>

> > or special 'spoons' . The only time consuming thing is grabbing the

> dish

>

> > soap as I pass through the kitchen and remembering to put it back .

>

> >

>

> > As for not using water , that's a joke isn't it ? If it were true ,

> you

>

> > should never go through a mud puddle or even think about washing the

>

> > bike , let alone leaving it in the rain . ;)

>

> Its a little different when you are trapping the moisture inside of the

> bead

I have to agree with Alex, because I'm picky. Its a last resort for me to grab soap & water and then its only for the last few inches if I'm having trouble. Keep in mind, ive done this by hand on automotive and motorcycle tires too. The real bitch is breaking the bead loose on a set tire.

I have never had a problem and I'm sure that I've trapped more than just a bit of 'moisture' inside the bead .

The only difference is water will take a bit longer to dissipate , but it does .

Just for something to think about : why do a lot of shops slop soapy water around a rim & tire when mounting ?

They keep a bottle and rim mop attached to the changing machine .

Anyway , like I said , I'll keep doing what presents no problems and works for me . ;)

> P D Wrote:

> Just for something to think about : why do a lot of shops slop soapy

> water around a rim & tire when mounting ?

>

Because modern alloy rims dont rust or corrode easily. And modern steel rims are coated.

40 year old chrome rims are a different story

Richard Eberline /

I use the zip ties, on all types of wheels. Never fails, any tire and any wheel. They also make a bead creme, it is like shoe polish only clear. Works like a charm cold or hot. In the last 10 years or so got one small leak, from a tube. Found out the problem was a bad valve core. Learned from the best, Roffman.

> alex . Wrote:

> > P D Wrote:

>

>

> > Just for something to think about : why do a lot of shops slop soapy

>

> > water around a rim & tire when mounting ?

>

> >

>

> Because modern alloy rims dont rust or corrode easily. And modern steel

> rims are coated.

>

> 40 year old chrome rims are a different story

BS . The shops have been doing the same thing since at least the late 1950s . That was about the first time I saw that method in action .

And , the alloy rims definitely corrode . ;)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account