How long to soak a carburetor in a can of gunk?

Jessie Paull /

I recently took the carb out of a Hobbit for a cleaning because it wouldn't idle without choke

Apparently I didn't clean it well enough with the spray carb cleaner because it still wasn't idling right after reinstalling. I think part of my problem is that I couldn't get the emulsion tube out to clean thoroughly (too stuck), so I decided to get a can of Gunk with the dip tray to soak it a bit before trying to get the emulsion tube out

The back of the can says to only soak for 20 min, but I was wondering what others experience with this has been, and if I should soak it longer, or if thats not recommended?(edited)

Re: How long to soak a carburetor in a can of gunk?

i think i left a head in that can like two months ago, its still there, it wont melt anything metal just the plastic.

Josiah Radebaugh /

I'd do over night.

What I do to clean carbs is: Use any thing to clean the exterior that will break up oil and what not. Take off the bowl, float and needle, jet.. I just use really hot water and pleanty of dawn. After that, use an air compressor to blow everything thing out, try to blow air the opposite direction of normal flow so you don't lodge anything deeper.(edited)

You can soak it until the cows come home, what you need is compressed air.

Get it ultrasonic cleaned

Honda hobbit carbs have small passages that require being blown out with compressed air. Sometimes you have to remove the welch plug to clear out obstructions

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account