Poor braking even after new pads.

Jonathan Bennett /

My Magnum rear brake need some help. I've replaced the cable and the pads and they still don't have near the braking power as my Maxi. I did lightly sand the drum, hopefully that didn't screw them up. Thoughts???

Re: Poor braking even after new pads.

Richard Eberline /

Newer cable is thinner than Oem. Have a thicker cable made, like 2.5 or 3.mm. So in a nut shell the conduit and control cable needs to be Beefier. Also the 21.00 brake shoes have more bite. Or use bbboth bbbrakes at the same time with your tongue hanging out.

Jonathan Bennett /

> Richard Eberline Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Newer cable is thinner than Oem. Have a thicker cable made, like 2.5 or

> 3.mm. So in a nut shell the conduit and control cable needs to be

> Beefier. Also the 21.00 brake shoes have more bite. Or use bbboth

> bbbrakes at the same time with your tongue hanging out.

So you thin there is cable stretch??

These are the shoes I got. https://www.treatland.tv/treatland-s-SUPER-HIGH-QUALITY-brake-shoes-80x18-p/groovy-pads-13957-80x18-y.htm

And yes, I use both brakes and hand my tongue out exactly like you taught me!!!!

Treats has a nice set of cable that are heavy, Got them for my pinto and they are a bit long but they work well. its one of the party packs(edited)

My sprint did the same thing. Until i was changing tires one day and got water inside the brake drums. Brakes started grabbing good after that. Sounds crazy i know. But take the brake plate off spit a mouthful of water inside put it back together walah! Hit the brakes a few times bet they work good after that.

Ya know what, when my grandpappy taught me how to do a brake job he always soaked the rear drum pads for like 15 minutes b4 installing...I thought he was crazy...

Well he was crazy, but that's beside the point...maybe he was onto something.

Siping the shoes helps a lot. Just cut some lines across the shoes with a cutting wheel.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

There is also the possibility that if it is a really high mileage bike the inner lining of the break drum is worn so thin that they won't engage in that case I would suggest adding material to the old shoes like he said score I'm a little bit and I would epoxy another Lair of say Vibram.

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Ya know what, when my grandpappy taught me how to do a brake job he

> always soaked the rear drum pads for like 15 minutes b4 installing...I

> thought he was crazy...

>

> Well he was crazy, but that's beside the point...maybe he was onto

> something.

What did he soak them with?

A bucket of water!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account