Bottom end useable or done for?

Mel FromZelie /
20190817_151537.jpg
20190817_150806.jpg
20190817_150831.jpg

My E50 on my newport blew up on the LGN rally... I have a new cylinder, head, piston, crank for it... but I am a little concerned if the bottom end is still useable... the conecting rod clanged into it obviously.... can we smooth it up and use it.. or is it toast?

im specifically referring to the gouge on upper side

thanks(edited)

Re: Bottom end useable or done for?

Here's what I would do. Take the 4 studs out, remove the conn rod by cutting it or splitting the case and re-assembling it without the crankshaft. Scrape the gasket off. Tape some rough grit emery/sand paper to a piece of glass and invert the engine start sanding away. Leave the paper/glass stationary and move/rotate the engine block. Move to a progressively finer paper once the worst of what looks like a raised gouge is sanded down. ( If I'm seeing what you see).

Then try some JB weld in the cylinder contact area, while the stuff is still workable slide a jug into it and slightly rotate the jug to form an arc of contact. Remove jug and let it harden.

And hang that con rod on a wall somewhere

Mel FromZelie /

thanks for the insights!

yea it was a pretty gnarly scene when we took it apart.. little pieces everywhere. We are still newish to mopeds... so learning the hard way while we go I suppose.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Case match it while you’re there too.

Yep - kind of the same like he said but the bulge from the impact I would just get at with a course file until it looks almost blended, then paint the carter deck with a sharpie and do figure 8s with it upside down against some wetted 220 aluminium oxide cloth mounted onto some plate glass. Wet the 220 with kerosene, it will make a better cut and pick up al the crap. Wipe often and repaint with the sharpie as your bluing so you can see when you have taken enough material off so there is no raised bump or pocket.

Should be indexing the replacement cylinder anyhow so not like you can shave off too much as long as you keep it straight. Also while you are in there match the transfer lead ins on the carter to the replacement cylinders transfers for improved performance.

> Bob Naske Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Here's what I would do. Take the 4 studs out, remove the conn rod by

> cutting it or splitting the case and re-assembling it without the

> crankshaft. Scrape the gasket off. Tape some rough grit emery/sand paper

> to a piece of glass and invert the engine start sanding away. Leave the

> paper/glass stationary and move/rotate the engine block. Move to a

> progressively finer paper once the worst of what looks like a raised

> gouge is sanded down. ( If I'm seeing what you see).

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

There was a very phalic meme going around awhile ago, looked just like this

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yeah case match that baby and put something really large on high

Mel FromZelie /

we have it apart.. thought I would post a better pic of the crank...

20190819_085331.jpg

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Dude that is awesome I have never seen a Conrad do that I've seen him snap I seen him splinter but never ever did I see the s man that baby must have been really hot to do that

Mel FromZelie /

yea... uh... what had happened was...

This is on a '77 newport that I had bought a few years ago that the p.o. had put a k-star kit on. When I got it, it was really low miles. I had upgraded to a 15mm real bing and mlm intake fancy mlm air filter.. had made a little window in the side covers for the air filter. I also put a circuit pipe on it since we have hills here in Pittsburgh.

It was really hot out that day. I had a temp gauge, and it was doing ok for a while, staying in 360-390 max range. Then it started getting hotter, (400-420 ish) and I thought it sounded like something was squealing and it didn't have as much power. At the lunch break my hubby (I'm a lady) and some others looked it over and it did squeal, but stopped... So the breakdown van by was super-duper packed and I decided I was gonna risk the ride back and hope that I at least made it back to PA (lunch was in NJ). We got over the bridge into PA (with a sigh of relief) and it started sputtering.. I had kinda backfired a little at one point before that. I thought maybe I was out of gas... I pulled over and I had a premix liter on me and dumped that in real quick. Hubby and I took off again hoping to maybe catch back up... got about 1/4 mile and I could hear and feel something break and I pulled over (at least we were near a wawa)

When we got back home we discovered that the intake was slightly loose. That probably worked it's way loose from vibration (it was the one thing we didn't check before heading to Philly) and caused the bike to run lean and was engine's demise.

lesson learned to check everything real good, and now I (we) get experience rebuilding an e50.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Mel FromZelie Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> we have it apart.. thought I would post a better pic of the crank...

> >

HAHA! That's amazing! Save that conrod

Looks like a Salvador Dali painting!

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yeah you should Chrome it or haven't gold electroplated and where it is bling yo it's like a Badge of Courage Andorra reminder of stupidity

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account