Batavus rear wheel / pedals won't turn free

Just bought a new to us 1978 Batavus HS50 for my son and it was running when he tested it. He drained the gas and threw it in the back of his outback and when we got home we can't get it going.

The engine starts and runs - however it is clear that either the back wheel or the pedals have something holding them back.

I disconnected the rear brake cable / that isn't it.

Suggestions???

Re: Batavus rear wheel / pedals won't turn free

picture of the bike.

IMG_1561.JPG

isolate, motor turn, pulley turn, wheel turn?. im guessing freewheel or backing plate slipped outta swing arm.

The tire is rubbing the frame. Now I see it is 2.25” not the 2” that is ideal. Will add a link to the chain.

Thanks!

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yeah only a 2 inch wide tire will fit on a batavus that is your problem shinshin Golden Boys are cool there moped tires from Taiwan I think you can find them online I got last time I got them I got them from Cedar Rapids Tire yeah Cedar Rapids I forget which Cedar Rapids but it ain't anywhere near Pennsylvania but they had them

So am i wasting my time thinking that I can add links to the chains and move the tire back enough for it to work?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yes it is not that easy then your brake cable would be too short and the forks is are not wide enough the sides are rubbing

THANKS Slew Foot!

I found a 16" x 2" tire - removed the 2.25" one tonight - but found that the innertube is also 2.25".

I assume it's critical that I get a 2" innertube and am going to get one tomorrow (though if I'm wrong - please speak up)...

Don't worry about the tubes. They'll work

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Certain brands work they'll have it listed that it's good for 2 inch to 3 inch tires I think sava

Thanks guys. Tube worked for me!!!

I appreciate all the guidance.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account