New here.

Pete Vanderberry /

Hey guys,

So I got a 78 puch newport as a project and have it back together and running. However, my only complaint is a weak horn. Which I need here in Vermont as I have to have it inspected, if anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it

Re: New here.

When you rev the engine up while the bike is on the center stand, the horn should get a little louder. It's going to be weak at idle just like the lights are dimmer because it's powered off a coil and the magneto rather than a battery. Maybe you can explain that during the inspection? "It's louder when I need it to be"

Pete Vanderberry /

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Even at a higher rpm it's still pretty weak. I may just put a squeeze horn on it for inspection, but its something I'd like to figure out down the road. I've worked on Vespas and chinese bikes before, but this is a whole different animal

Yeah Puch actually did make a branded squeeze horn to mount on the handle bars. I wonder if it's because they just never could get the 6v horn system to be loud enough.

That's something like I told my girlfriend " it's bigger when I need it to be". Sorry, my bad! ;)

Drake Abrahamsson /

I mean I couldn’t help you with wiring or anything but I just did a quick “12v horn” search on treatland and found a few

https://www.treatland.tv/SearchResults.asp?Search=12v+horn

I think the horn is part of the ignition system electricity wise so I’m not sure how you’d figure that wiring out but maybe this is the start of a solution?

I mean technically you could hide a charged 12v Lithium Ion battery like under the seat or side covers, and wire the horn and horn button to that. Just for the test.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account