Old petcock is stuck

I got a new petcock for my 1977 Columbia Commuter. The previous owner had fuel line and filter hooked up to this, no way to shut it off. i got the new one. Now I can't get what's left of the old one out. If this is supposed to come out that is. This should come out of the tank shouldn't it? Here's a picture of the new one also. Any suggestions.

IMG_1491.JPG
IMG_1492.JPG

Re: Old petcock is stuck

The threaded part is all you should have there, it looks like someone stuck a tube inside the threaded fitting. It's possible the tube is soldered or epoxied in there. The second issue is that those threads look shot so I doubt there is enough to hold the new petcock in place.

I thought the new petcock threaded into the tank. It looks to me like someone left the threads from the old one stuck in there.Am I wrong about that? Or are you saying the new one should thread onto what is already there? they are both male threads.

The unthreaded nipple does not belong. The threads on tank do belong and mate to the inside of nut on new petcock.

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll have to find a way to get that unthreaded piece out of there, then fix those threads if that is possible.

They do make petcocks with a hose nipple on both the inlet and outlet.

terrible, on tank w stripped male threads, just vise grip and crack it off being as careful as possible not to mess up bung. get a 1/8 " pipe threader and thread the inside and use a moby or pug petcock, its 10x1, pretty much 1/8 " pipe.

Easiest would be to slip a hose over what you have . Use an in line shut off and an in line filter . Ebay is full of them for cheap . So , for about 5 bucks and 5 minutes , you're done and on the road .

You won't have a reserve , but , unless you're absent minded , that shouldn't be much of a concern .

Always remember that it is just mopeds . ;)

Thanks again for the help and suggestions. I'm going to try and fix those threads with a thread file.If that doesn't work I'm going to use the hose, inline shut off and filter, that's what the previous owner had used, just no shut off.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yeah if that was rigged threads were shot when he had it any probably brazed or epoxied that tube in there and it will be a bitch to get out I second the inline on off and filter

the bad thing about the inline shut off and filter is that there isn't much room for both to get gas to flow to the carb. I'll have to keep trying. I got it rigged up but the fuel is going against gravity. I'll have to move either the filter or shut off closer to the tank or get a smaller filter.

It looks like you grabbed hold of the tank threads with vice grips and tried to rip the whole fuel outlet off. Bummer. Those threads are part of the tank. You kinda need em to do this right. But you could probably Jimmy-rig something.

(Sorry, Jimmy. I’m not a Jimmy-phobe) I didn’t mean to sound prejudiced against people named James.

That is how I got it. i thought it was supposed to come out, the more i looked at it I found it wasn't. I can't get the bottom part out, that little nipple, fuel line was connected to it.

That nipple has probably been soldered in. You may have to heat it to get it out, or just rig something up.

Sorry, wasn’t trying to accuse you of the aforementioned bonehead move, just an observation. I hope you can get that piece out, so you can repair it proper. Thread file should help ya.

No need to apologize. Just when i think I've done some stupid things in the past I find something like this.Makes me feel smarter.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

That kind of makes up for buying a 30 year old moped

42 years old. Smarter? I'm not so sure. But it sure is fun.

Here's a picture of my latest creation. This will work until I can do something with those worn threads.

IMG_1497.JPG

That looks like it'll work but I'm pretty sure your fuel filter is backwards.

> Saabsonettguy . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That looks like it'll work but I'm pretty sure your fuel filter is

> backwards.

You can be sure . That filter is backwards .

With it in it's present position , how would you tell if anything has been filtered ?

Can that fuel line be flattened ? It'll likely have a massive air bubble to contend with .

> Saabsonettguy . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That looks like it'll work but I'm pretty sure your fuel filter is

> backwards.

Thanks for pointing that outs looked right at the flow arrow when I put it on too. Just wasn't thinking. She's all set now. I'll see what I can do to get those threads corrected. Worse case is I wasted $25 for a petcock and fuel line.

Rob LaFreniere /

Did you try jerking it a little?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

That's the whole problem it has a square Bang just kidding if you open up your float bowl there you can install coffee filter around your jet and not even worried about it but you're really really need a cut off valve cuz those Square beings leak like sieves

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account