wheel spinning scarily fast during idle? puch maxi

noah wingren /

me again,

ive been messing with my bike today because it wasnt starting. i gave it a new spark plug, made the seal where the throttle cable i just replaced tighter, and have been messing with the screws trying to get it started. suddenly, it starts on a quarter kick but the rear wheel spins so aggressively, and seems to be speeding up, so i've just been getting scared and turning it off. what could this be? could it have something to do with the overlong cable i just put on? or the clutch? clutch has worked fine and it has idled normally before, so my hope its just adjusting the idle until it calms down but i'm afraid to keep trying and don't remember which direction does what. its a dellorto carb w an idle and a mix screw. i can post videos of the problem & of how loose the throttle cable is on request

Re: wheel spinning scarily fast during idle? puch maxi

noah wingren /

Wesley Ambrosini /

Air leak

noah wingren /

oh lord what did i do

0ADE9546-7F4F-483A-87C9-D33059A7B271.jpeg

Well there's your problem

noah wingren /

ambrosini: could you elaborate?

boyd: i think i did this while trying to fix the problem, i was messing around with the idle screw trying to get it to stop doing that and my idiot animal hands must have screwed it in so far it cracked with slider, making it impossible to throttle. when it started having this (wheel spinning) problem the throttle was still pulling / returning normally

Did the slide locator fall out of your phbg? Because the screw shouldn’t be able to do that...

noah wingren /

@daniel: maybe? is that the white plastic part that fits into the spring? if so then its still there but maybe i reassembled wrong when i was replacing the cable

Daniel is talking about the little pin inside the carb body that coincides with the groove in the slide, to keep the slide located in the proper direction, so that the idle screw only raises or lowers the slide. If the slide is positioned properly, that damage won’t happen.

noah wingren /

oof it may be, does anyone know if thats a replaceable part? i'm having no luck googling around for one

> noah wingren Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> oof it may be, does anyone know if thats a replaceable part? i'm

> having no luck googling around for one

That pin is supposedly permanently installed by the manufacturer . I doubt you'll find one separately .

If your's is gone you might consider fabricating a suitable replacement . They are usually made of brass .

noah wingren /

nvm, went to the basement and checked. it had slid out of the way, but was still there. pushed it back in with a key. i wonder why thats a movable part in the first place?

> noah wingren Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> nvm, went to the basement and checked. it had slid out of the way, but

> was still there. pushed it back in with a key. i wonder why thats a

> movable part in the first place?

It should be 'set' in place . If you can pull it out , spray the hole and pin with brake cleaner . Then after everything dries , apply a bit of red loctite and reinstall it . That should help hold it where it's suppose to be .

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account