Re: New to me, 63 Mobyelette AV88

The earlier bikes did not have a external coil, the internal coils was the only thing throwing out the spark. Often there could be corrosion on the button and spring that contacts the HT output and the spark plug lead, or it could have a bit of crap in there to mess things up. Electricity is lazy so if there is a easier way to get to ground it is going to take it, so it could be shorting out in that part on the lead to coil union.

Check that the primary wire to the points have good insulation, little break in the insulation and it can short out and lose the spark.

Are the points super clean? Give them a pass with a points file (not sandpaper,one piece of grip will give you electrical grief) and clean them after the pass of the file with brake cleaner (not carb cleaner because the lube in it will mess up the points electrically). Need to gap the points to 0,4mm and time the points opening to 1,5mm BTDC.

New condenser? Those are a known weak link on the Novi ignitions.

The antiparasite spark plug cap can also get a bad resistor over time, it can spark without one. The resistor is only for radio noise suppression, however you can only use either the cap resistor or a resistor plug, or none, but not both. NGK 5ohm cap works on the plug wire, can get that at a small motor place.

> John Ebert Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I got a left hand 10mm tap and die along with a Metric thread file.

> Cleaned up the retaining nut and the end of the crank. I think the

> puller was the culprit in messing up the threads on the crank.

>

> Didn't have the tool to set the field winding so I used my calipers to

> adjust for the clearance needed for the rotor. Checked the ohm reading

> and it is 1.1ohms. Still no spark.

>

> Have a friend who is into mopeds stopping by in 2 weeks and I will pick

> his mind. I might have to use a fine pick. I feel it is something

> simple but I'll be damned if I can figure it out. Sometimes new eyes

> are best when looking at a problem.

>

> Again, thank you all for your advise.

>

> John in Texas

The plug is new as is the coil and condenser. I moved the condenser to a screw holding the coil in place. The shop book I down loaded said for AV88's that the timing should be 2mm btc. But, even with the timing off I should get a spark, just not at the correct time. I will order up a new set of points just to make sure all the insulators are there. They don't cost much and will give me peace of mind.

Thank you for your advise.

John in Texas

I forgot to mention that the plug wire and cap are new also.

Again, thanks you always give me things to check and think about. My goal is to have it up and running (and running well) for the Cherokee Chapter of the AMCA show and swap meet in Fredericksburg in April.

John in Texas

You need to get hold of the Shanks MPC out in Dallas-Austin area. Thats not too far from you and you will be enjoying your Moby well before the AMCA meet in April.

> John Ebert Wrote:

> I forgot to mention that the plug wire and cap are new also.

>

> Again, thanks you always give me things to check and think about. My

> goal is to have it up and running (and running well) for the Cherokee

> Chapter of the AMCA show and swap meet in Fredericksburg in April.

>

> John in Texas

So, I have rechecked the field windings for the ignition circut and it is now below 1 ohm. Going to check the one on the parts bike and see where that gets me.

I have seen a CDI unit advertised on the net which replaces the points and field windings for the ignition and lights. The price seems reasonable but how well do they work? I would love to get some feedback on those with all the difficulties I have been having.

Thanks again to all

John in Texas

I have a 1979 all original and the same issue !!!! Changed starter clutches changed outside clutches and still not turning over the engine. Old variator was complete and in good shape but didn’t turn the engine over so got another one and rebuilt it and same issue. Let me know if you figured it out or do I need to tear the engine apart. If I knew 100% it’s the variator I would just buy a new one but tried two so far. Bearing/ one spacer / small clip / two spacers / large clip Uggggg

03A0A5DB-B96D-4DFE-B345-D5072C77DBAF.jpeg

Brian,

I must have had my variator apart 3 times. I cleaned and put never seize on the pivots for the clutch arms. Cleaned the rollers and the cage. One day it started to work. What I did or didn't do I'm not sure. I agree that getting that damn clutch off is a pain.

So now the clutch works but I don't have spark. Think I know why but as usual I'm waiting on parts.

John

If you spin the clutch my hand does it spin the other side ?? I put a drill on it and still didn’t spin the other side

Quick question if you grab the clutch by hand and spin it does it spin the flywheel at the same time ?

No, takes a bit more than that but not much.

John

The Le Partie cdi on Treats works excellent, much better starting and idle than points. On an av88 (at least mine) I had to enlarge the center hole on the cdi so it would fit over the center-hump around the crank on the av88 cases. I also had to space the unit out about 1.5mm from the case to get the flywheel to sit in the correct position in relation to the stator plate. You will also need a voltage regulator (6 volt if you want to retain your original wiring/electrical system). I upgraded to 12 volt lighting/horn setup but had to make an entire new wiring harness.

Well we have spark! The gods have smiled upon me. Waiting on LED bulbs for the old girl but that is a minor thing I also have a voltage regulator on order. Need to recheck my timing as it doesn't start. The tank is very clean and I have a new petcock but the plug is dry which indicates to me that there maybe a carb issue or I need to pick some more 2 stroke gas and get a bigger head of fuel. The fuel issue is easiest to deal with so that is where I will start.

What is your take on using the ethanol free 2 stroke gas that is sold for weed eaters and chain saws?

Merry Christmas to all.

John in Texas

> John Ebert Wrote:

> Well we have spark! The gods have smiled upon me. Waiting on LED bulbs

> for the old girl but that is a minor thing I also have a voltage

> regulator on order. Need to recheck my timing as it doesn't start. The

> tank is very clean and I have a new petcock but the plug is dry which

> indicates to me that there maybe a carb issue or I need to pick some

> more 2 stroke gas and get a bigger head of fuel. The fuel issue is

> easiest to deal with so that is where I will start.

>

> What is your take on using the ethanol free 2 stroke gas that is sold

> for weed eaters and chain saws?

>

> Merry Christmas to all.

>

> John in Texas

Good you found spark .

Ethanol free gas is good ( not a big deal , but good ) . You can easily remove ethanol from regular 10% ethanol gas by pouring a quart of water in a gollon or two container of fuel , shake it and let it settle . Water with alcohol will settle to the bottom and 'pure' gas will be on top . Relocate the gas on top and dump the water on your burn pile .

And , Merry Christmas to you . :)

First, I hope everyone had a safe and sane Christmas and New Years, yeah I know I'm a party pooper.

My Moby lives! Got it running late today. Need to replace a fuel hose and tidy things up before taking her out for the first time in over 50 years. It gives me great satisfaction bringing old bikes back.

Next I will look at getting parts bike running. Found another Mobylette in New Mexico which I hope to pick up on my way to Phoenix. I will be there for the AMCA show and swap meet at MMI next Sunday Jan 12th.

Resized_20191225_090437(8).jpeg

where did u find spark? behind the door or under the christmas tree?

I checked under the tree first, then behind the door. It was in the frig behind the milk.

Damn spark was elusive.

Truth is that the timing was way off due to my not knowing where the timing mark was on the CDI units backing plate. The paperwork I got with the CDI unit said there was a paint mark, there wasn't. It is just a small cast in mark that doesn't look like what it is. Used my timing light and cordless drill with a 3/8" adaptor to spin the engine over with the plug out. It would have been so much easier if the crank had a key in it. Oh well!

Cheers

John in Texas

Interestingly, I'm hearing the woodrif key channel in the LePartie flywheel matches perfectly with the key-slot of the Airsal crankshaft at 1.2-1.25mm of advance. Coincidence?

The Mobyelette doesn't have a key which make this a bit of a pain to time.

John in Texas

Do you have a Buzetti? (to set timing)? Makes it very simple.

> Kenneth Hill Wrote:

> Do you have a Buzetti? (to set timing)? Makes it very simple.

Which Buzzetti would that be ?

They've been making tools and parts for 20+ years .

> Kenneth Hill Wrote:

> This

> https://www.treatland.tv/buzzetti-micrometer-p/buzzetti-ignition-micrometer.htm

buzzetti-ignition-micrometer

Well I have it running on the lift. Had the exhaust off and used a drill with a 3/8 adaptor I got from HF to spin the engine. She started right up. Put the exhaust back on and nothing. Then the light bulb went off and I realized that the exhaust is plugged up, may have been since the get go. Think I will get a couple of cans of oven cleaner and see how that goes.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel and it isn't a train.

Put the exhaust back on the Moby after cleaning it. Went to start it and nothing! What the heck? Then I noticed that there wasn't any fuel getting to the carb. Went to add some pre-mix and as I removed the gas cap there was a sucking sound. The new gas cap wasn't vented, creating a vacuum. Looked at what was left of the original cap and saw a vent hole. Drilled a small hole in the cap. Let's hope this is the last of the surprises she has for me! I find it frustrating when I have to modify new parts to make them work as they should.

I did a leak down test and it is leaking at the crank seals. Did that once before and it was OK, think the seals had dried out.

I have replaced the seals, new rings (the first set were the wrong style) and gaskets.

Ordered a carb kit. It was not correct. The 63 Moby's have a different carb from the later one, looks similar but no cigar. Cleaned and re-used that gaskets and jets.

I did clean the exhaust, no blockage found.

Timed it at 1.5 mm BTDC, the manual I have (which is very poor) says 2.5mm BTDC so I will re-time it today.

Wish me luck.

John in Texas

Re-reading the timing tutorial on the wiki links, tells me I have other problems than what I thought. The 1.5 BTDC is about right.

The Girtner carb could be the problem. I have cleaned it several times but it did sit for about 57 years so maybe there are issues I don't know about? Anyone know where I might find the correct carb kit for a 63 Moby with a Girtner?

John in Texas

A carb kit does no good if the passages are clogged .

I haven't bought a carb kit since the early 70s . Brass doesn't wear out and gaskets are pretty easy to cut . O rings are plentiful .

Get an sha15 and manifold, easy to tune, better performing, available parts .. get further/do better.

Yes Stephen is doing that to the engine as well. Total rebuild all the way down to a nice new chrome Exhaust. Can’t wait.

I'm going to look at those in a bit. It feels like the Girtner isn't drawing. Hope to have it up and running before the AMCA show and swap in Fredericksburg in April.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account