How ,'wet' should the spark plug be when testing fuel delivery?

Hi guys, I'm trying to get a Honda Hobbit running and I've cleaned the carb thoroughly. I'm getting a spark and it starts if I put premix down the cylinder then cuts out. It won't however start normally. When testing to see if the plug gets wet I'm not sure how wet it should be to determine correct fuel delivery. It has residue of fuel on there but hardly noticeable. When I poke a bit of wire down the cylinder it doesn't come out with any fuel on it either. Should I expect a lot of fuel on the plug when turning it over a few times? If that's the case I can definitely pin point it to a blocked carb. Also I'm definitely getting fuel to the carb as the float bowl overflows when cranking. Thank you in advance, Luke

Re: How ,'wet' should the spark plug be when testing fuel delivery?

You've talked about everything but ignition system.

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You've talked about everything but ignition system.

Ive gapped , cleaned points and plug, and I'm getting a strong blue spark. It's also firing over with premix directly down the cylinder so I'm doubtful of ignition issues, but welcome any tips of course

what happens in this situation is you'll keep looking and looking and not succeed until u order a new crank seal wait and wait till it arrives and the go to pull your variator off n then order that puller wait wait and then youll see the problem with that darn seal, its off for whatever reason, pop the new one on and mess it up n then order another one wait wait just order 3 n the puller if possible.

Stock Honda carb? Did you clean the emulsion tube (the extremely small holes in the side of the tube)

If the carb weeps or spills when cranking then either your float is way to high, dirt on the float valve seat, or it is blowing back because the reeds are not sealing.

Thanks for your help guys! I will check the reeds sealing and im going to remove the exhaust and see if that does anything. And report back. Ultimately as pat said I'm preparing now for the replacement of seal's

So i removed the exhaust and it starts now. However it will only run with the choke on. As soon as I try and take the choke off she just dies. Even if I continue to rev it with the throttle. I'm now stumped.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Your exhaust is clogged.

When you pull it off completely it runs lean, hence why it only starts with the choke.

Ah crap now you mentioned it that makes complete sense! Perhaps I should try and de clog the exhaust then see what happens :)

Good news. So I removed the exhaust again and also cleaned the carb again for good measure. This time I removed the Welch plug. On removal it seemed clean but still cleaned it nonetheless. When assembling the carb and reinstalling it on the moped I sealed the reeds with a little bit on high temp silicone. Low and behold she starts and idles. I then reconnected the exhaust and altered the air and idle slightly and now it runs great. Moral of the story is if it looks clean, just clean it again you never know. Thanks for the help everyone

Dan (high idle) Conway /

^hes probably right

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account