Sachs 504 clutch plate wear

Frank Bailey (MOPITT) /
20191017_120334.jpg

This is the clutch plate that contacts the doughnut.

Is this wear normal? Asking for a friend...

Re: Sachs 504 clutch plate wear

Wesley Ambrosini /

I just was just inside my stock 504 with 2k miles.. they aren't that bad.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

You forgot the little washer with the circle holes around it

Frank Bailey (MOPITT) /

Thanks, Wesley and Slew. I reassembled this yesterday and took it for a run. The shuddering till it fully engaged was gone. I just disassembled it again to check for that washer as well as compare everything to the manual. The washer was not missing and I triple checked everything including the proper location of the drive plates (thinnest one first in on the doughnut). The axial play is within tolerances and the nut had not come loose.

If I had to guess, this was caused by the clutch being open to the elements and corrosion on this badly neglected engine. That and perhaps lack of lubrication once upon a time.

Anyone else please chime in as to if you have experienced unusual wear in the drive plate. I know most people hate these almost as much as Jawa.

I rode this in our rather hilly stressful rally and other than a little bit of judder on engagement and some slightly high temps after the steepest long hill all was well. I highly recommend the Airsal kit from Treats and Dos even on the 504.

Wesley Ambrosini /

> Frank Bailey (MOPITT) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I triple

> checked everything including the proper location of the drive plates

> (thinnest one first in on the doughnut).

Isn't the 1.7mm plate supposed to be in the middle?

Frank Bailey (MOPITT) /

Not according to this: 504_clutch.pdf(edited)

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Thin disk thick plate thick disk thick plate thick disk

Disk metal. Plate friction.

This has always been the balls diggity...

the thinnest is factory installed on the inside but order of the plates doesn't actually make a difference.

that 100% looks like the started clutch bell was riding on it. I'd bet the started cable was too tight, or there wasnt a proper gasket on the clutch cover. without the thick gasket on the cover, the cover presses the lever and squishes the bell down onto it. anyway line the bell up on that and check but that definitely looks like it matches the shape and location of the starter bell and that's exactly what i'd picture happening if you ran a while with the starter bell rubbing.

Frank Bailey (MOPITT) /

Wild, I think what you're saying that the starter clutch bell was pressing on the outer plate causing this wear on the outermost plate. This however was the innermost plate, the side that contacts the dougnut.

I have a thick cover plate gasket and the starter clutch does not appear to be dragging. I cannot remember if this inner plate had any wear when I first assembled it. I'm going to ride this hard and monitor things.

Appreciate the input.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Oh now I see when you're reassembled the clutch the inner COG was put in backwards the old wear put a little lip on it so that it only goes one way in other words it won't compress all the way if it's backwards the little lip caused it to always rub on the inside of the donut and they're supposed to be too thin washers on the outer sometimes I'll skip a plate and get a super thick washer for an anchor plate to take up that space where those two washers go

Frank Bailey (MOPITT) /

It seemed like the doughnut was stuck in the groove and the clutch would shudder as it tried to engage when starting off. Once it got to a certain speed and the doughnut climbed out of the groove it fully engaged. When it fully engaged there was no slip and it ran like a champ. I don't think anything was assembled backward. I could have flipped the worn disk and it would have worked but the clutch wear disk would have worn unevenly. I had a spare. I still think corrosion started the wear as there are pits showing in the groove. Again this engine was sitting out to the elements with the clutch cover missing before I got it. Perhaps this is unusual wear except for this sitting and rusting.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account