Trying to figure out this idle issue...

Dan (high idle) Conway /

Hey everyone! So i’ve got a 77 maxi

Rebuilt New super stuffy crank, Case matched TCCD 70cc kit, NOS 15 bing with 217 atomizer, Uni air filter and 82 jet, 15 intake and Tecno boss.

Timing is 15mm, Brand new Nos bosch points, Brand new bosch condenser. The bike will run strong and go very quick,

But the God*mn idle (Which I have set sounds much much higher than my Fresh Tomos A35) Will run strong for minutes at a time, and then all of a sudden the bike will putter out

Now, I’ve tried “Little buddy” holes in my extra 24 slides tried both a 51 and 24 slide I’ve tried all combinations of the 2.22 and 2.17 atomizer with Both single and double ringed needles.

Anyone have any ideas?

Don’t say airleaks because this engine is freshly rebuilt, torqued, fresh gaskets and I’ve checked relentlessly for any airleaks causing this issue.

The bike will die eventually whether it be after 2 or 15 mins of idling and it doesn’t matter if the back tire is spinning or not.

Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks

Re: Trying to figure out this idle issue...

Dan (high idle) Conway /

Just checked with a timing light to confirm the bike is getting spark til the last rotation of the crank before dying

Dan (high idle) Conway /

While i’m thinking about it-

I’ve tried both a 14 bing and 15 bing, timing it more advanced (17-19mm) I’ve tried spark plugs from B5HS-B7

I know this a odd one but I had a issue like this and it was a vacuum leak all because the intake would not tighten down, simple fix was to use two 2 washers on the intake. Try it.

Richard Eberline /

The dying of the motor is a condenser, the hotter they get this happens. The high idle is vacuum, sucking in gas like when its running out. A bings idle circuit is the throttle piston or slide. the bottom cut is the starting circuit.

Dan (high idle) Conway /

Brand New Treats High Quality “#1 Grandpa” Intake, Cleaned and made sure both mating surfaces were flat with new gasket. Torqued, I’ve checked with carb cleaner no leak.

Brand new externally mounted to coil Bosch condenser and NOS puch Bosch points gapped and timed both parts less than a week old

Overpriced Parts /

Uni air filter can’t use ever because as soon as it gets wet fuel soaked and or moisture its inconsistent airflow, 82 jet seems very high, you may have a fuel flow problem too along with your low range Idle tuning.

Dan (high idle) Conway /

Ken! I was hoping you’d see this. I actually made a filter out of a thin square uni foam sheet. In comparison to the High flow filter i have i can jet higher with the filter i made. 82 is actually the perfect size jet for my setup in this cold fall weather, one size up 4 strokes, and a size down runs a bit leaner than i’d like.

I’ll check up on fuel flow, But from the petcock it’s great. Tonight I cleaned my coil ground, Reset point gap a tiny bit larger than it was set, tightened up intake/ exhaust nuts a smidge. too late to run the engine, so i’ll check back tomorrow.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

82 jetting....

A 45 millimeter piston and the 1412 Sha carb on Tomas and I only ever to run 75 Topps without any filter and that even runs a little rich so I would rethink the whole jetting thing I mean with mine I'm getting a solid 35 with high torque running 2626 gears I can't even run any higher then 75 even on the 19 millimeter m a carb

Dan (high idle) Conway /

Depends on the atomizer. When I was running a 2.22 size my jet was a 76.

With the 2.17 the jet needs to be an 82.

Not gonna go any leaner on this setup.

Richard Eberline /

Gas cap not venting and or the float's needle valve has a tiny vapor leak, That goes to a bigger leak when running.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Larger-diameter fuel line shorter distance less restrictive filter

Overpriced Parts /

> Dan (high idle) Conway Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Depends on the atomizer. When I was running a 2.22 size my jet was a 76.

>

> With the 2.17 the jet needs to be an 82.

>

> Not gonna go any leaner on this setup.

One hour at my house with my 1.2 mi private road and we would be able to take care of your lack of jetting knowledge! Metal mesh filter, 82 jet is too high so you may have a seal issue or just plain don’t know what you doing!

Dan (high idle) Conway /

Well... I know a thing or two cuz the work I did last night solved the problem when I took it out for a spin this morning.

Not sure why you guys are so dead set on what size jet I should be using..? Jet size can vary on many factors. In fact Adam from Pike Cycles in boston (Who rode his A55 across the US) said I’d end up with a mid 80s jet with this setup.

If I listened to you guys my bike would be seized LOL!

Not to say you guys haven’t helped me and alotta other people out in the past, but cmon already..

Dan (high idle) Conway /

Thanks for the help everyone

Just to recap- I checked for airleaks everywhere after torquing down intake, exhaust head bolts etc... Nothin.

I then checked fuel flow from petcock again, After the fuel filter, Checked Flow from Needle.

But I moved my Internal ignition coil a bit closer (I forget the spec but something like between .040-.060mm) Cleaned the coil grounds Tightened coil screws,

I set my point gap a tad larger. Checked my external condenser ground.

Thing started 1/4 kick this morning and “ran like a top” as one might say.

Great. you know it's so much better when you figure out the stuff on your own. Pat yourself on the back.

Richard Eberline /

Internal ignition coil's AIR GAP is from Bosch is .004 to .006. Puch is a little more like .008.

Dan (high idle) Conway /

Thanks

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account