honda express na50

Curious if anyone has had this issue. Have a 1979 honda express II na50 and am experiencing spark issue. Have replaced the ignition coil and rectifier, cleaned the point and magnets. Did get spark. Replaced the spark plug boot/cap and got good spark for about 5 starts then noticed it started to get weaker and weaker and now have barely anything. Stator? point? bad coil? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: honda express na50

Condenser ?

the condenser was part of the new coil. should be good as well.

Make sure your points didn't get oil or grease on them..try cleaning the gap.check the gap also to make sure they didn't close up(edited)

the point is clean and gaped .14. not sure this is right but when I hook of a test light to the points with battery the light never goes out? When test my cb360 it would go on and off when points opened and closes (used when setting points) is this normal for expresses. Also, when the boot is removed looks like I am getting small spark with just the bare wire. Spark plug is correct one but not sure if boot is. Any idea what the right one is for a na50? Thanks for the feedback.

Maybe the insulator on the points is dirty enough to allow current passage , even if they actual points are not touching ?

What did you use to clean the points ? It only takes a finger print to foul points .

I use brake cleaner , as it cleans very well and leaves no residue .

i used fine sandpaper and brake cleaner. Where is the insulator on the point?

> jeff smith Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Where is the insulator on the point?

Check top and bottom of the insulator .

It's the fiber bushing ( yours may be a different material ) , bottom of the illustration below :

(edited)

when using a test light and battery as outlined in the manual should the light only come on when the point is open or should it stay on the whole time? I don't notice any difference with the light or continuity when the point is open vs closed? Thoughts?

With a test light hooked base to ground and center to the wire from the coil or where it mounts to the points , the light should go out when the points open .

If it stays lit when the points are open , there's a short to ground , somewhere in that circuit .

I think we are narrowing in on the issue but need further clarification on what you mean by "hooked to base and center to wire from coil". If you can elaborate on what you meant I would appreciate it. Again when I hook it up according to the diagram in the manual (test light connected to positive on battery and other end to black/white wire coming out of stator, battery also connected from neg to ground via grean wire to intake) the light does not go out when either the points are open or closed. When should the light come on? when closed or open? thanks!!

Going with the way you have the light hooked up , is the B/w wire from the stator connected to anything but the points and charge coil on the stator plate ? Are you testing at the end of that wire , not connected to the HT ignition coil ?

Like I said , the light should be lit when the points are closed , not when open .(edited)

here is the diagram I am following. So test light is attached to positive on bat and to the end of blk/white wire outside of stator. other end of blk/white wire is connected to point between insulators. When setting timing on my honda cb360 it is just the opposite. When there is power to the coils then points the light comes on when open and goes out when closed, so that's why I am confused.

Test Light.png

According to the wiring diagram ( below ) , the points simply act as a switch .

When things are copacetic :

When the points open , the circuit is open and no current can pass = no light .

When closed , the circuit is complete = you have light .

(edited)

That makes sense but looking at the diagram what is the split of the blk/white wire before the point?

Looks like this also goes through coil and then to ground? If there is no switch on this line wouldn’t the light be on all the time as it connects to ground and closes the circuit?

Thx again

If your test light is staying on when the points are open you are touching the wrong side of the points..take a white piece of paper and put between the gap with the points closed ,pull it out and see if you have grease or oil in the point gap(edited)

> jeff smith Wrote:

> That makes sense but looking at the diagram what is the split of the

> blk/white wire before the point?

>

> Looks like this also goes through coil and then to ground? If there is

> no switch on this line wouldn’t the light be on all the time as it

> connects to ground and closes the circuit?

>

> Thx again

You're right . That would allow light . Maybe a bit lower intensity .

Sorry , my mistake for not considering the coil ground .

So , it seems the manual is wrong , also ?

Just bought this na50 both wheels are lock up and won't turn at all!

> Dale Davis Wrote:

> Just bought this na50 both wheels are lock up and won't turn at all!

You bought Jeff Smith's NA50 ?

As for the wheels ... take them off and unlock them , whatever that requires .

No. I’m still plugging away on mine.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account