TRIKE REAR BRAKE STUFF

Wolf Wizard /

So I’ve been slowly restoring my trike. Motron frame pryer rear. Got it with 76 miles on it and put a few hundred on her before I started this journey. I’m so close to wrapping her up, but I’m having an issue with the rear brake. The brake “stay” from when I got it was a bar of steel bolted to the shock as shown, then the plate was bolted to it as well. (Two bolts on the plate which I didn’t get, notice it’s longer on the plate side than the shock side) But whenever I tighten it down, it goes Cockside and rubs very hard. I’ve tried washers between them, all kinds of weird spacing. Is it possible the brass bushing that’s pressed into the brake is wallowed out? I’m wondering what everyone else’s looks like? (Every one I’ve seen looked a little different but reference would be helpful) Am I missing something?

9BC05E04-CDBC-4C99-934D-A84822F0DE62.jpeg

Re: TRIKE REAR BRAKE STUFF

you don't need to tighten that. or not the way you have it. if the bolt stays put, it can't come off that bolt. try if you can put a nut on just so the bolt stays in place, but basically you don't want to be tightening that stay arm to anything. I don't know that i'm making sense, hard to word this...

that bolt needs to stay put. the brake stay arm does not need to be bolted down, it just needs to slip over a stay to keep it from spinnin with the axle. you can weld the bolt in place or bolt the bolt in place but you don't want to bolt the brake stay arm to the frame support there

Wolf Wizard /

That’s a good point. Make it a regular brake stay. As in take some of the washers off the shock side to move the bar outward away from the diff, and tighten the nut to the bolt on the bar and mimic a normal swingarm brake stay, rather than a nut on the outside at all, Man I was over thinking this.

Please feel free to post pictures of trike tears for other people in the future or maybe we can make a thread in main discussion on trikes specs. Puch, tomos, and pryer.(edited)

Dude yea, start it up, i recently got a tomos trike built and running and it's been an absolute blast. so much funny all the time

Wolf Wizard /

I just got my paint matched and my dad has been doing custom car chrome for 25 years and he gets me killer prices. Can’t wait to rip this thing around I’m doing full maxed out stock look. Windshield and I got a pair of NOS in opened cat eyes

A3EC5E64-50F7-4F92-8468-570117F93EEA.jpeg
4F5353DC-E108-487A-9F51-17B66C428583.jpeg

Looks good. The fact that you have the (almost always broken) complete rear fenders is a huge plus. That brake stay is bent too far inward towards the brake causing it to rub

Wolf Wizard /

ALRIGHT. Got it figured out. Pretty sure this is the correct way. With the brake-stay mounted INSIDE the frame. Having it sandwiched between the frame and shock locks it in place so it cannot Pivot on the one shock bolt holding it. Also added a nice shaft collar to the axel against the brake plate to keep the it from torquing when I apply the brakes. The brake plate still looks a little crooked, but does not make any scraping noises and is applying the brake nice and firm.

A06860C1-CAFB-4D23-8172-F51B88121682.jpeg

Here’s a better angle where you can see how the brake-stay gets locked into the right angle of the frame when bolted down

CFB08442-3E5A-47B4-9D88-95B4A184260B.jpeg
« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account