Mb5 regulator installation

Howdy all, I’m stuck between a rock and a pile of blown bulbs. I know the battery acts as a voltage regulator on these bikes, but after sitting for a few months, I took my battery off and charged it, it was reading 12v, all good. Hooked it back up to the bike, still got a solid reading off the multimeter, went out rode for maybe 20 minutes and blew all my bulbs. I’ve been through this too many times, so I thought the most obvious solution would be to get a generic 12v regulator and try and wire it in. But I can’t find a way to hit all the lights off the cdi. Has anyone done this, and suggestions? Help please!

Re: Mb5 regulator installation

the MB5 should have a little tiny "regulator" under the seat & tank.

https://www.treatland.tv/honda-MB5-MT50-MTX-tiny-lil-voltage-regulator-p/mb5-tiny-voltage-regulator.htm

They're tiny lil diode halfwave rectifiers really. and they don't always last long, probably blew out and your lights are just running the full ac output voltage from the stator

Ned Nicholas /

I just bought one of those for my MB5.

I have a new and confirmed good battery and it blew out the headlight bulb in about 1 minute.

New replacement Honda Rectifiers are available. I just really don't want to buy anything else until I figure out what to do next. I only have one more headlight bulb left.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jack Rutherford /

Here’s one I use . Yellow to yellow and brown to ground.

Ned Nicholas /

Thank's Jack.

Do you use this on an MB5?

Jack Rutherford /

I've used it on a Honda Urban Express (12v), Yamaha Chappy (12v) and Yamaha qt50 (12v). should work fine on an mb5

Ned Nicholas /

Thanks!

Need, I'm having the same problem, bulbs. Do you have a Cross reference

Number for that bulb? To avoid dealing the Honda. On my boat can use a Fram oilfiter.... When you're changing 18 gallons of oil, I try to save where I in can, TU..

Ned Nicholas /

I had to switch over to the headlight that Treatland sells. (edited)

> Rob Healy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Need, I'm having the same problem, bulbs. Do you have a Cross reference

>

> Number for that bulb? To avoid dealing the Honda. On my boat can use a

> Fram oilfiter.... When you're changing 18 gallons of oil, I try to

> save where I in can, TU..

Not to jack the thread , but , 18 gallons of oil isn't exactly cheap . Why would you skimp by using a crap Fram filter ? I would think that much oil would warrant something like a Wix or better .

PD, that's what was on sale. Apparently you don't have slip fees, insurance, winterize, or own a tuna boat? Yes you hi jacked.

I'm not getting into boat maintenance on a moped website.

Fram is fine with me, BTW....

Change a label on the box and people WILL pay more.

EG.

They were on sale to get rid of them . They don't have to put good filters on sale because they sell themselves .

And , everyone has their tuna boat with maintenance and all the associated fees .

I simply wondered why anyone would expect use a 5 dollar insurance policy to protect a lifestyle investment .

Heck , you probably spend more on oil for your 'ped .

Fram or Wix ... If you do less than 10 minutes of homework you'll see the Wix is simply a much higher quality filter .

Ned Nicholas /

Hello Jack,

The MB5 has a diode rectifier inline with the charging lead of the alternator.

Do you know if I should remove the rectifier and tie in the yellow wire and ground the brown wire?

I assume that the regulator bleeds off the extra voltage to ground.

Is that correct?

Jack Rutherford /

You need the rectifier.

Regulator limits the charge.

Jack Rutherford /

How regulator works

Ned Nicholas /

Thanks Jack,

I appreciate your help.

I guess I'm still stuck not knowing how to test the rectifier.

And if the rectifier is what causes the headlight to blow out, why didn't the new one fix the problem.

I bought the regulator that was recommended but do not want to blow it out also if the rectifier is not working.

I'm just thinking out loud here.

> Ned Nicholas Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks Jack,

>

> I appreciate your help.

>

> I guess I'm still stuck not knowing how to test the rectifier.

>

> And if the rectifier is what causes the headlight to blow out, why

> didn't the new one fix the problem.

>

> I bought the regulator that was recommended but do not want to blow it

> out also if the rectifier is not working.

>

> I'm just thinking out loud here.

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&sxsrf=ALeKk03aMnfm-X8iMWKdX4cI1ljz8iDBtA%3A1600106892355&ei=jLFfX6CPFYKntQb277WoAQ&q=how+to+test+a+rectifier.&oq=how+to+test+a+rectifier.&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIGCAAQBxAeMgYIABAHEB4yBggAEAcQHjIGCAAQBxAeMgYIABAHEB4yBggAEAcQHjIGCAAQBxAeMgYIABAHEB4yBggAEAcQHjIGCAAQBxAeOgQIABBHUOTXBFjk1wRgp98EaABwAngAgAHkAYgB5AGSAQMyLTGYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6yAEIwAEB&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwigha_XnunrAhWCU80KHfZ3DRUQ4dUDCA0&uact=5

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account