Moroni MO2 spark issues

Recently got this 78' SVT Scorpion with the Morini MO2. When I got it I quickly noticed the ground from coil to motor was broke so I fixed that hoping for quick spark. Nada. Took tons of electrical tape off the harness to reveal the red/black/green wires from stator. Made sure red was going straight to coil, coil grounded to motor and left green and black snipped. No spark. Red was split off to killswitch but i bypassed that for spark. Points are opening and closing and I cleaned as best I could with a cig box strip. I was told the condenser was swapped. I then grounded the black to frame tab after I wire wheeled it to bare metal. Nope. Then tried grounding green. Nada. I don't have a flywheel puller yet. Tried 3 plugs and will try new plug wire/boot tomorrow and look at coil itself for grounding. I've never tested a stator or a coil. Any help appreciated! Pic is where I'm at now...

20200126_112416.jpg

Re: Moroni MO2 spark issues

A real points file from Oreilly/Autozone/Advance is like $3-5. I've used mine to get spark on so many bikes I can't keep count. I've never had emery board work in filing points. If I was you I'd buy a points file, file the points, then go from there

Awesome, I didn't know a points file would be that easy to come by. I initially used a nail clipper file and then someone said it could leave residual and to use a matchbook which did take some residue off. I'll swoop a points file tomorrow. I've heard of using an electronics cleaner spray too. Best to just put the file in and pull out numerous times, file back and forth while in between?

I bought a roll of Emory paper 20 years ago that I'm still using... Fold it over a popsicle stick n go to town.

Dude ur gonna end up just rewiring the who shebang after dealing with that crap.

Sounds good, praying to the moped gods they just need a good clean. And yes sir on the rewire, you should've seen that shit when I started. The. Whole. Harness. So. Much. Tape.

Got this? Shows MO2 service manual and wiring diagram

https://vintagemopeds.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/morini-mo1-mo2-service-manual.pdf(edited)

♣Slew Foot♣ /

A match striker works.

Cev old style bucket/tail has a resistor.

Thanks Don!

> BBD 83 Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks Don!

You're welcome! Make sure kill switch wire is not grounded.

Red was split off going to coil and killswitch but I have it going straight to coil per the pic. Appreciate the help

Got a points file and cleaned the points, used some electronic cleaner and compressed air and I GOT SOME SPARK. It seemed weak but I got it. Points open and close and gap is ok. Called for a ngk BP6ES plug, I had two, 1 plug produced 0 spark and it was the one the bike came with, I had another grimier bp6es and it produced spark. Cleaned more and stuck with that plug. Spark seemed weak and sometimes intermittent. Tried a new bpr6es, no spark. I got the spark to be pretty steady with the older bp6es and went straight for carb, pulled it, had fuel flow from the petcock. Changed the tiny bit of hard fuel line, main jet was plugged, got that clear, cleaned up and blew out idle jet, float was fine. Would not start. Tried starter fluid in plug hole and air intake, wouldn't start. I was using a drill to spin flywheel and left decomp alone. I then checked for spark with the plug out again and it went from intermittent to nothing so I stopped there. Suggestions from here? Not enough spark to fire? Compression is there. Previous owner made some weird homemade baffle, could that be a problem? I'm getting closer!

cant say how many times ive had no spark and recleaned the points n she fires right up use premix in a squirt bottle insted of starter fluid.

Solid plan Pat Splat, in the plug hole or carb? I'm also gonna try to ground that green too and see if it gives a better spark. Newbie ?...I'm spinning the flywheel with a drill and if you were to pedal it the flywheel rotates the opposite way, it dosent matter right?

wow, motor spins same way as it pedals, it should atleast.

Never have seen an MO2 with a decomp lever. Only a starter clutch lever.

Don Ohio what am I doing wrong here? Wrong verbage on the decomp, my mind was on my Hobbit, yes clutch lever. I had spark but it seems intermitent or weak and even when I had it steady I couldn't get it to fire. I tried grounding green to the motor too and had spark but no start. I'm just spinning the flywheel with a drill. When you pedal it the flywheel rotates counter clockwise. With drill it goes opposite or itd just spin the nut off. Do I need to hold the clutch lever in when trying to fire? Also tried a bit of mix in the plug hole instead of starter fluid. Giving up for tonight.

to clarify, if u pedal n it spins ccw, then when u drill start it has to go ccw.

so then I can't drill start cuz if I do that it'll just spin the flywheel nut off. Or is there a way to bite it behind that? Ill have yo look tomorrow. Sux to pedal start rn too cuz the pedal axles are bent to fk like a circus bike. And, I was getting spark spinning it the wrong way. ?? I think I'm high on fumes and better start again tomorrow. Sorry to sound like an idiot

Check out this coil ground, literally hanging by a thread...all over it.

20200128_095935.jpg

Don't pedal start it, push start it. Use starter fluid. Find a good size hill, get a running start and jump on the bike, holding the clutch the whole ride down until you feel it start. If it doesn't start then it's not gonna start as it is

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> Don't pedal start it, push start it. Use starter fluid. Find a good size

> hill, get a running start and jump on the bike, holding the clutch the

> whole ride down until you feel it start. If it doesn't start then it's

> not gonna start as it is

NIck! Don't make the guy push it back up a hill......LOL!

He can run alongside it on the level, and kick in the clutch. Pushing a moped uphill is a bummer.

Real close to rolling it off a cliff and leaving it at the bottom. Fixed the coil ground and redid the other wires. Still not enough spark to fire. Guess it's time to get a puller and start a way more involved repair than I was hoping for.

Just for an outside chance, unhook your horn,then try it. Been there.....suffered that!

Oh,and before you roll it off that hill, take the engine off and mail it to me...….LOL!

Have you replaced the condenser ?

> BBD 83 Wrote:

> Real close to rolling it off a cliff and leaving it at the bottom. Fixed

> the coil ground and redid the other wires. Still not enough spark to

> fire. Guess it's time to get a puller and start a way more involved

> repair than I was hoping for.

9 times outta 10 weak spark is points that aren't gapped properly or are still corroded. I've had to file the shit out of points before getting nice spark before. Also, you said you tested spark with some plugs you had laying around; what about a new plug? That can make a huge difference

Yes, points set at .014" (thousandths of inches not millimeters) Spark plug at .020" to .022". Don't buy a resistor plug, just a `plain jane' autolite is fine. Mae sure the spark plug CAP(boot) is in good shape. And I wasn't kidding about unhooking that horn.

Don to set point gap do I insert gap tool when points are most open, unscrew the points screw and then retighten? Also cutting out the horn won't matter if Im going stright from stator with no harness involved right? I have red to coil, coil grounded, black cut to nothing and green grounded to frame. Dansi 101286.

See where TDC is exactly by checking the TDC and Fire marks on the magneto and case.

The gap should be set at or a little after TDC.

But the main thing is WHEN do the points separate. By using an ohmmeter you can see WHEN the separation occurs,thereby the spark. The MO2 times at 23 BTDC,but check me on that. I always say set the points a little close because used points have less pure contact than new points. More `dwell' time together.

Your bike will run fine even if points are a little close, like .012", but they will burn up a little quicker.

Once you set the points, and the break is at 23 degrees by ohmmeter, crank it over with a timing light hooked up. just an induction light that clips to any 12V battery and the other lead clips over spark plug wire. Marks at 23 BTDC and the case mark for FIRE should line up by strobe flash. If not, rotate the mounting plate until correct.

The points' rubbing block needs a `tiny bit' of points grease.

Great feedback ya'll I'm gonna get a meter and learn how to do some tests/timing/check point gap and I'd like to see what an ohm reading gives me at the stator wires. Also test coil. I HAVE exhausted most of what I can do with the flywheel on so I'm ordering a puller and was also surprised to see dos cycles has a whole nos stator plate for 50 bucks. May go that route. I'm not seeing just replacement points available do you guys have some solid retailers for Morini stuff other than treats and dos? I wasn't able to get the plug the manual calls for but I tried various plugs and I just plain have weak spark. Tried bump start and only found that I'm way outta shape and should quit smoking. : ) I did replace the plug cap with an ngk cuz the inside of the old one fell apart and the wire from coil also came loose. I fixed all that and still don't have enough spark to run. Last thing before I order stuff and get a meter...the coil is grounded well to the floorboard where it was stock but the floorboard isn't mounted for space while troubleshooting, it's hanging off the gas cap by ziptie. Would that have to be mounted (grounded) also? This thing sat for 2 years under an awning without the flywheel cover on so, ya not awesome but making headway. Also, I get spark from grounding either the green wire OR the black with red to coil, but better with green. Thanks again for all the help fellas.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account