Honda Cub Diffuser

Should I put a Baffle / Diffuser in my 1965 C100 cub ? , just ordered a new muffler from China and don’t know if it’s made to accept this part. Does it make the engine run quieter, what is it’s purpose ? Thanks

Re: Honda Cub Diffuser

Pushrod Fifty /

You need it for good lower end performance. I made one out a piece of copper tubing. Look at the ones for sale on ebay and copy as best you can.

I have the one from the old muffler that’s in pretty good shape, just needs cleaning,

My new muffler from Chinatown is coming tomorrow, not sure if it’s predrilled to accept the diffuser but if not it will be an easy mod to accept the old one. I really wasn’t sure of it’s purpose, Thanks for explaining it. Thanks Again

Pushrod Fifty /

No prob. Like to see pics of the new one.(edited)

I’ll send some pics , not sure how to but I’ll get a Grandson to help. I’ve been working on the cosmetics and was thinking about painting the plastic parts but was real leery about how good of a job I could do with a rattle can. I came across a product called

Rejuvenate. I used on the large front cowling and the side covers, they are a crime color and were dirty and very discolored. I gave them a good scrubbing and applied per instructions. The change was nothing short of spectacular! It made the color and sheen like new. I applied a second coat after 24 hours per instructions. They sell this stuff at HD among other places. It’s called Renovate Outdoor Color Restorer and claims to last for years, it’s $14 for 16 oz. I can’t wait to try it on the black parts. Thanks

Pushrod Fifty /

Have to try it. I usually use car wax but it doesn't work that great. I wouldn't paint the plastic unless it was really ugly, or broken and repaired. I have painted a leg shield and it came out good. It was a pos, with cracks and stains all over, from a Jun bike. I cut it down to make a racing leg shield and painted it the same baby blue color as the bike. I used plastic fusion spray paint first, then rustoleum enamel. I hit the side of it against my doorway and the side of it broke off. I will fix it one of these days but for now I'm using the original that is in good shape.

I looked at the picture of your blue cub .it is awesome! Did you paint that blue color?

That white front piece looks great.I would kind of like to paint mine a crepe or off white, not crazy about the black . It will look a lot better with the black done with the Rejunavate . I bought some chrome side covers , they look good but the edges are like razor blades. I had seen some black edgeing on these pieces while looking after looking at pictures and found some on EBay ,it works and looks great. It’s called X8R and costs $12 for 1 meter. I like using wax but this stuff takes it to a whole new level,

Easy to apply just wipe it on and let dry , 2 coats and it looks fantastic. Thanks

Pushrod Fifty /

Yea I did, 15 years ago. Still looks like it was just done. It was really rusty or else I would have kept it original.

Did you completely strip the bike ,What kind of paint did You use? I’m also working on a Balboa , I’ve finished the front chrome rim and spokes and now working on the rear, one spoke at a time, then on to the Cub wheels. It takes forever but makes a huge difference. Did you redo your wheels ? I’m seriously thinking about buying new wheels from Chinatown, their $180 shipped,however the quality won’t near the originals. Have You ever used Evaporust ? That’s another miracle product. Thanks

Pushrod Fifty /

Yea I stripped it down and beadblasted most of the stuff. The rear wheel is painted oroginal but I replaced the front one a while back because it had a rust spot on it that was a little deep. Dont know about evaporust but I use wire wheels on heavy rust and just prine and paint 5 coats of rustoleum spray and rust never comes through. Next bike I paont Im going to use rustoleum thinned with mineral spirits and brush it. I did a fender recently and it came out more glossed than spray with no brush lines. The new reformulated mineral spirits they have now keeps the paint from drying on the brush it works great. The cans don't spray that great anymore.

That’s a great idea to brush the paint . I do a lot of painting and use oil base for all the trim. It goes on like glass and a lot more durable than latex. Brushing shoul work great because your painting a small field . What kind of paint would you use? I’ll check with Sherwin Williams too and see what they suggest Spraying is a mess and really requires good equipment and spray booth .

Pushrod Fifty /

Rustoleum or Interlux polyurethane.

Thanks ,I’ll check it out . How hard is it to install turn signals on a Cub ? Why is there winkers on the handle bars but no provision for wires ? I’m not too hot at wiring. Thanks

Pushrod Fifty /

The Japanese standard for distance between blinker lights was smaller than the US standard in the 60's, so they had to delete the blinkers to sell here. They painted the inside of the C100 front blinker lens so it didnt look so much like a blinker. You can see the bosses for the switches on the controls, the cutout and markings for the switch was deleted. They changed the prefix to CA100. Try explaing all of this to a CT DMV inspector!

Sounds like a little Yankee ingenuity. There’s a grommet on one side for the blinkers but the other side is open, someone E bay is selling 2 grommets for like $30, what a deal . I’m working on the real wheel for the Balboa , got a few spokes to clean and then hope to get it together and install tire. Then I’ll start working on the Cub. The muffler didn’t come in yet , maybe today. I also ordered a gasket packing and the round gasket. How fen do you ride your Cub , weather permitting ? Thanks

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account