Can drum brakes be turned?

I'm going through my parts to clean things up and put on bikes and have a good half dozen rims apart with rust on the drums.

Some are minor and clean up with sandpaper or a metal brush on a drill, but a few are really nasty and I'm not making any progress fast.

The local auto parts store can use the same machine on drums as they use on discs, but the inside diameter of the rim where the axle goes is too small for the machine.

They suggested renting their cylinder hone. I figure I could use a drill press to hold the hone straight and clamp the rim down on center. I'd start with the better rims first and work my way up to the nasty ones. Theirctools are under warranty so they don't care if I bring back nasty stones on their hone.

Are there other methods to clean drums. I'd hate to toss a rim just because of stuborn rust.

Re: Can drum brakes be turned?

Overpriced Parts /

Brake shoes won’t work if hub wear is past wear specs in manual, in some cases it’s only a few thousands so check the manual to see how much you could take them down

Re: Can drum brakes be turned?

These 3M things work pretty good. Ace hardware has 'em.

But another good way to get rid of rust on brake drums is to not worry about it and ride them. Brakes will be kinda sucky at first, but the shoes will sand the rust right off, eventually.

91F8w7fF7iL._SL1500_.jpg

Re: Can drum brakes be turned?

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Somebody should make brake shoes with thicker friction material for wheels with worn brake drums, or to allow people to turn their drums beyond spec but still use them.

Or maybe just thicker metal pieces where the lever actuated against so they spread farther?

Re: Can drum brakes be turned?

> Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>

> Or maybe just thicker metal pieces where the lever actuated against so

> they spread farther?

I've added 'shoes' to the heels of brake shoes , due to wear grooves in those heels .

I made those 'shoes' out of hard copper . The cams that made those wear marks were a bit too sharp on their 'high' sides . So , I simply rounded the high points just a bit .

The copper is thick enough to not only right the shoe position , but , also put the shoes a little closer to the drums . That makes a difference at both the control lever and the adjusters .

Re: Can drum brakes be turned?

Haha dude seriously? You ever let a car sit in the drive way for a couple weeks? The rotors get rusty but after you take it for a spin & brake a few times they are clean again.

Clean your brakes and drums with brake cleaner, close everything up and go do some heavy braking! Take the wheel apart again and cleam the rusty metal brake dust with brake cleaner again.

Re: Can drum brakes be turned?

I'm not worried about a little surface rust, I'm talking about drums so rusted from years of exposure that the plate and lever has rusted solid and when you finally get everything apart, the shoe has separated, is still stuck to the drum, and you had to use a screw driver to separate it from the drum, with rust and pitting the entire drum surface. Are you just saying "slap in some new shoes and ride and it will take care of itself?"

Re: Can drum brakes be turned?

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'm not worried about a little surface rust, I'm talking about drums so

> rusted from years of exposure that the plate and lever has rusted solid

> and when you finally get everything apart, the shoe has separated, is

> still stuck to the drum, and you had to use a screw driver to separate

> it from the drum, with rust and pitting the entire drum surface. Are

> you just saying "slap in some new shoes and ride and it will take care

> of itself?"

Nope that sound like to much rust probably better off with a new drum

Re: Can drum brakes be turned?

Overpriced Parts /

> Rocco Taco Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Trent Anderson Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I'm not worried about a little surface rust, I'm talking about drums

> so

>

> > rusted from years of exposure that the plate and lever has rusted

> solid

>

> > and when you finally get everything apart, the shoe has separated, is

>

> > still stuck to the drum, and you had to use a screw driver to separate

>

> > it from the drum, with rust and pitting the entire drum surface. Are

>

> > you just saying "slap in some new shoes and ride and it will take care

>

> > of itself?"

>

> Nope that sound like to much rust probably better off with a new drum

You could get a new drum for five star mags but a lot of wheels a new drum means changing spokes or changing the wheel altogether

Re: Can drum brakes be turned?

You didn't mention they were that far gone in your first post. Sounds like you need a new hub.

Re: Can drum brakes be turned?

Post pics of the really nasty drums .

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account