Batavus m56 clutch starter not engaging

spencerrrrr r /

Picked up a batavus Regency with the m56 Laura engine a few months back. Finally getting into it and I’m running into some starting issues.

When the belt is removed I can apply light force to the outer clutch housing and am able to turn the engine over.

The problem occurs when the belt is installed. Now the force needed to press the outer plate inward and turn the engine over is much greater. So much force is required that the little arm doesn’t have enough leverage, even when properly calibrated.

What gives? The outer housing has very little play, close to the 0.2-0.5 mm mentioned in the manual.

The only piece I can see that I’m missing is this tiny leaf spring in the diagram below.

And ya, I’ll probably throw a V1 on it eventually but for now I’d like to get going stock.

EE6C7457-30A4-48B2-B44E-6B3BE69C06F1.jpeg

Re: Batavus m56 clutch starter not engaging

♣Slew Foot♣ /

No just a rattlestop. The level÷r pushes axially onto the plate to start. Your friction disk is worn out . the hub is Hung up. Or you rounded the square inside hub. Bent actüator arm. Concave plate.

spencerrrrr r /

Thanks for the input Slew.

Figured it out.

The refurbished outer washer had a bit sticking out too far and would meet the end of the crankshaft, preventing the outer plate from engaging

Anyone know how this nipple was secured from the factory?

BF17FA02-74D5-4776-B31E-59C6C84CF270.png

♣Slew Foot♣ /

That is the contact point that gets pushed upon got hot pressed so it's cold. Weld or interference fit

if its been concaved, can't u just put a socket in the middle and mash it with a hammer?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yeppers good ole force....

spencerrrrr r /

Ya it was just pressed on, when I tired to grind down that nub in the inside it popped off pretty quickly. The plate wasn’t deformed, I think the repaired nub was just a bit long.

Ended up using an m5x10 bolt and an acorn nut to make a new contact point. The bolt head had to be ground down a bit but it works now.

AF5AFD2B-B114-446E-B16A-E6FBAE8FE0F5.jpeg

Gotta love a 'repair' that actually works . ;)

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account