Where to buy-- Starter 1985 Honda Gyro

Hello,

I think my starter gave up the ghost on my 1985 Honda Gyro. Does anyone have an idea of where to purchase a new one.?

Thanks,

Rich

Re: Where to buy-- Starter 1985 Honda Gyro

You might consider tearing the starter apart and cleaning it out .

Maybe replacing the brushes .

They are a pretty simple affair .

Yeah, thought I could get a new one for cheap, and tear apart the old one another day. Still hoping for some purchasing ideas. Found a starter on Amazon that the buyer said can be modified for his '84 Gyro, but I don't know what "modifying" means in this case. Thanks.

That new starter is not going to be cheap .

And , you shouldn't have to modify any new starter to fit .

You could have had your current starter apart and cleaned in the time you spent typing here and searching for another starter and had time left over . Riding time . ;)

Check with Honda Dealers, sometimes they have nos parts laying around. Probably will be expensive.

It's the brushes. New ones were like 10 bucks when I replaced them back in 2010. Had them at my local Honda dealer, brothers Honda in Bremerton,wa. But they've been Open seince the 60's so I'm not sure if newer dealers will..

They still had a buncha nos hobbit stuff 6mos ago. They sold my hobbit new, service dept freaked when I showed em the sticker. I got the last 4 belts they had, muahahahaaa

^ Lucky guy! I never thought to ask for belts....but I will, they used to have to have every part for every bike they sold, the odd stuff hangs around, always worth a look, or Google the part # might find leads that way.

If the brushes need replacing and you can't find the exact replacements , find brushes with like pig tails that are a bit bigger than needed .

Brushes are made of carbon and can be easily shaped . Simply sand the bigger brush to fit nicely into the holders in your motor .

A benefit of that^ practice is odd brushes can be had for pennies and spares keep for ever . I keep a couple sets around , just because I never know when or where I'll need them . ;)

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account