Hobbit - running problem

I have a completely rebuilt PA50I and carburetor on a test stand and cannot get it to run very well. The motor starts, runs at very low speed, but “sputters” and the acceleration lever on the carburetor has no affect. Any suggestions/recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks Jack

Re: Hobbit - running problem

does it run better with full choke?

What pat said...

Does it run better w/ full choke? Does it run better with air filter removed?

Have you cleaned the carb? Sprayed carb cleaner to look for air leaks at all joints?

Richard Eberline /

Could leaky reeds, you have to use a air filter. test for leaks with starting fluid, carb and brake cleaner harm rubber. NO NO

Problem solved I hope. Tried all the above recommendations and there was no change. After getting the basement full of exhaust fumes. I Connected a small vacuum cleaner to the mufflers exhaust pipe and restarted the motor. And now it runs like a champ. When the vacuum is off I can not keep it running. Guess the muffler is clogged and needs a good cleaning or if anyone knows of another cause and effect please let me know. Thanks Jack

take the muffler off or get a long extension cord and leave that little vacuum taped on there.

Loosen the header up so it leaks, if it runs then the pipe is indeed plugged.

Thanks Nick: actually I removed the muffler today and gave it a good burning to remove any carbon. Will reinstall tomorrow and let you know. If that does not work do you have any other suggestions.? Thanks Jack

What do you mean by on a test stand? It will run best when attached to the swingarm with the stock airbox and foam filter.

Also, did you remove the bolt on the side of the exhaust to clean the inner connecting tube? Sometimes burning just knocks carbon chunks from the inside walls and they get into the little tubes in there.

Have you read the hobbit exhaust page in the wiki? good pics there

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account