Grande rear hub oil question

Got some 80w90 oil for the rear hub, am I supposed to put in holes at the 12 and 6 o clock positions in first pic?

Problem being shown maybe in subsequent pics. I grabbed the strap wrench and pulled it off, got a missing spring in there. I figuring this is why it's completely dry in there--busted and all leaked out?

If anyone could shed a little light or link to something illustrative I'd appreciate. I haven't got any frame of reference here, just getting this bike going, first 'ped. Thanks.(edited)

IMG_20200212_110133.jpg
IMG_20200212_110212.jpg
IMG_20200212_110222.jpg

Re: Grande rear hub oil question

Dirty30 Dillon /

So a little bit basic knowledge, but that's a dry clutch. You can probably tell that there's no way that an assembly with two open holes on the exterior could possibly hold oil.

The oil you have is for use in the transmission, and I have highlighted the fill bolt for the trans.

grande.PNG

The broken spring is a starter clutch spring, and probably resulted in making the bike not idle off the stand, if at all. That whole clutch assy needs to be cleaned and serviced.

Thanks for setting me straight and for the patience. The manual is kind of confusing when you are just half literate with this sort of stuff to begin with.

Eric, you get the hang of it. I did. Use the the Search ,WIKI, at the homepage for more info also. You'll get plenty of help asking questions also. Lotta tough love here! 8). Welcome.

> Les B. Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Eric, you get the hang of it. I did. Use the the Search ,WIKI, at the

> homepage for more info also. You'll get plenty of help asking questions

> also. Lotta tough love here! 8). Welcome.

At least I could swallow my pride and post the pic, and didn't fill my clutch with oil right? Ha ha. Thanks for the encouragement, need all the help I can get. At least the bike is running now.

When I got my mopeds, I topped off the fluids ran them for a day to mix them up, drained them , put in fresh fluids. Couldn't hurt .

> Les B. Wrote:

> When I got my mopeds, I topped off the fluids ran them for a day to mix

> them up, drained them , put in fresh fluids. Couldn't hurt .

I usually replace the fluids in whatever vehicle I buy .

It provides a base to start a decent log of maintenance . Not to mention , it's the only way to know exactly what's in there . ;)

> Les B. Wrote:

> When I got my mopeds, I topped off the fluids ran them for a day to mix

> them up, drained them , put in fresh fluids. Couldn't hurt .

Good idea. I have a boatload of the 80w90 so I might as well drain and replace--it was full, but who knows if it's the right stuff or not. Thanks.

Careful with those fill plugs. They can strip easy.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> So a little bit basic knowledge, but that's a dry clutch. You can

> probably tell that there's no way that an assembly with two open holes

> on the exterior could possibly hold oil.

>

> The oil you have is for use in the transmission, and I have highlighted

> the fill bolt for the trans.

>

> The broken spring is a starter clutch spring, and probably resulted in

> making the bike not idle off the stand, if at all. That whole clutch

> assy needs to be cleaned and serviced.

What are my objectives when I disassemble the clutch to freshen up? I understand the basic centrifugal function (I think) but other than that I feel like I'd be going in blind. I'm having no problems, very easy starts and idles fine, so I'm tempted to just replace the springs, check out the shoe surfaces and where they are grabbing and then hands off, but figured I might as well ask and learn.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Cleaned the friction surfaces on bell and clutch, de-glaze the pads on starter shoes and clutch, clean the cheeks of corrosion, grease the needle bearings

Thanks!

This is just an question from me that someone may know. Have those starter shoes been modified? All the ones I have seen had material all the way around.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account