78 Concord XKE V1 rebuild.

The Honda shop down the street gave my number to a customer as the local moped expert.

Their neighbor had given them the XKE a year ago with very low mileage. It now has around 600 miles and suddenly stopped running. The usual suspects are tail light bulb, condenser, spark plug coil, spark plug, as the issue sounds electrical. Of course, we will check out carb and petcock. I delivered the motor to Rockettman at the Toledo event a couple weeks ago for rebuild; gaskets, seals, bearings, and rings.

Nobody is making any money on this project, its like helping a newbie out and get him into the hobby.

I'm a little put out and puzzled that when he gets the bike back, he wants to have the Honda shop evaluate the work.

Whenever I go there for advice, they can't give me any because "it's not a Honda" and "we don't work on bikes that old."

The only parts that will go on the bike that you can see will be tires, petcock, and spark plug coil. So what will they do, charge the guy for an eval and say "yep, looks nice"? They certainly wouldn't know a good running V1 from a bad one. Maybe they could test compression and do a leak down test...

Re: 78 Concord XKE V1 rebuild.

If I take my Mitsubishi to a Ford dealer for work, and they refer me to the Mitsubishi dealer down the street, I'm not gonna take it back to the Ford dealer to make sure the Mitsubishi dealership did good work. The dude must have more money than sense

Jack Rutherford /

"Nobody is making any money on this project, its like helping a newbie out and get him into the hobby."

What are you teaching - how to get other people to fix your bike?

Overpriced Parts /

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If I take my Mitsubishi to a Ford dealer for work, and they refer me to

> the Mitsubishi dealer down the street, I'm not gonna take it back to the

> Ford dealer to make sure the Mitsubishi dealership did good work. The

> dude must have more money than sense

A Neighbor took his Ford pick up truck for a transmission problem to a local small mom and pop transmission/auto repair shop since it was out of warranty with high mileage he had to pay to fix it out of pocket,

The shop owner said it needed a full rebuild and he got a very reasonable price estimate for rebuild but Old dirty building, Gravel parking area, cars all over the place, young guys working with just jeans and t-shirts working on cars So he didn’t trust the shop with the job so he went to the brand new Ford dealer a half mile down the road and had them do the tranny rebuild for a lot more money,

About three days later he saw his same Ford pick up truck at the mom and transmission shop in the gravel parking area, went back to the dealer and asked the manager why it was there and was told yeah we sub out some major repair work, he was stuck because he signed the work authorization and in the fine print stated they can sub out work, to appease them they guaranteed it a little bit longer that’s all they did,

> Jack Rutherford Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> "Nobody is making any money on this project, its like helping a newbie

> out and get him into the hobby."

>

> What are you teaching - how to get other people to fix your bike?

Rockettman is getting something for his labor, so if he's happy with what he's getting, I suppose I shouldn't get bent out of shape about it.

I drove over to the owner's house, so there's a gallon of gas. Then I took the engine and wheels to Toledo for free, essentially, because I was going there already both for the Zeros event and to take other items to a third party for a trade I've set up.

When I took the engine off of the bike, I learned that the exhaust needs welding, so there's a possibility of additional cost involved.

Plus, once the work is done, one of us will have to drive to Detroit or Cleveland as there's a little electrical work to do on the wiring harness. With new tires and your basic rebuild, plus a tank of gas and turnpike tolls, there's probably $50 to $75 profit to be made. And that's if the issue doesn't involve a condenser or spark plug coil.

When I priced things out at treatland in a worse case scenario, parts alone totaled $325. It can't be THAT bad, but I wanted the owner to be prepared. He didn't want to end up paying as much as $450 to fix a moped.

Rockettman had started a thread about the high cost of rebuilding a motor recently. I see what he was concerned about.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Many years ago, a kid stopped by my house asking for my help in getting his Tomos Bullet running. I spent about two hours fixing his bike for him, only to find out that the next day he listed it for sale on CL. Never again would I help people out that I didn’t know.

todd amundson /

Yes screw helping people out. I had a noob question my work far before he even started the bike after I spent over 8 hours on it. I pushed it outside and asked him to leave. Selfish fuck. I’m happy to loose time and money only to never deal with some gothic punk ever again.

I'm down to devote time to helping folks. totally. it's fun. I love working on shit, and I love hanging out with people = it's why im in this hobby. Fixing other peoples shit is like all the same wins, but they eat the costs!

haha

Na it does suck when people arent appreciative or want more. give a mouse a cookie, little fucker should say thanks at least before asking for milk

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account