can riding with blown bulbs damage light coil(s)?

Is that a dumb question? I'm pretty comfortable with the mechanical side of mopeds, not so much electrical. I didn't notice until I was halfway to work that none of my lights except the brake were working. It is possible that one of the wires between the tiny high beam indicator and main headlight was not connected, switch was on hi beam. When I got home the tail light, speedo, and hi beam bulb were blown, but headlight looked fine, no broken filaments or burnt looking glass. Replaced the blown bulbs, tail and speedo bulb were on, but not the headlight.

It's a 78 hobbit with K10 headlight bucket, same bulb rating 6v 15/15w, pretty much plug n play, worked fine for years.

My eyesight is pretty bad, waiting for new glasses, so I can't quite make out everything on the wiring schematic. Do hobbits have separate coils for head and tail light?

Re: can riding with blown bulbs damage light coil(s)?

i suppose it could, but I dont think so

if theres no load meaning no bulbs, no lights, no horn etc then the coil doesn't make power, wont mess it up, no electrons moving.

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> if theres no load meaning no bulbs, no lights, no horn etc then the coil

> doesn't make power, wont mess it up, no electrons moving.

Power is being made , when the motor is running , whether you use it or not .

This is a really good question,Chris. I have often wondered this.

You have to ask : does the coil know when there's a load or not ? And , if so how is that possible ?

It's simply a piece of copper wrapped around a steel core being passed over by magnets .

if theres no burning light or honking horn electrons dont move. its like having a switch on off, or nothing plugged in the socket.

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > pat splat Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > if theres no load meaning no bulbs, no lights, no horn etc then the

> coil

>

> > doesn't make power, wont mess it up, no electrons moving.

>

> Power is being made , when the motor is running , whether you use it or

> not .

The definition of power is the rate at which electrical energy is transferred. No load means no transfer means no power. You're right in that there's potential energy whether you use it or not, but again no load=no power

Technically , that's true . Getting pretty close to semantics .

The field is being produced whether there's a load or not . That field 'excites' electrons . Do excited electrons mean power ? They are realigning / moving . Transferring energy ... ;)(edited)

But what if exciting electrons means HEAT? You guys are probably right, but I'm still

a little doubtful.

Thanks for the replies. But do the headlight and tail light run off the same coil or different ones? If the tail light works, the headlight should be on too, right? or not?

I had to cut my wrenching time short because my 2 year old started puking all over, hopefully the new bulbs get here soon and I'll have time to re-check all the wiring connections this weekend.

Yes,headlight and tail/brake should be off same coil.

Dirty30 Dillon /

You cannot hurt a coil by running it without load.

Period.

This is like saying "Does leaving your desk lamp off hurt the breaker box in your house."

^true that....but... really .. You have to get real close up to your walls and stick your ears up to them talk to the excited electrons..... They are whispering "run to the hills cuz every freeking wall in the house is gonna burst into flames, and if you think u can escape on your moped? Too bad because all stator plates are gonna blow up n burn because you forgot to turn on your lights or you didnt notice that the filaments were burned out...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account