Feasibility of 3D printing fenders/sidecovers?

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

I have some rare bikes that need even rarer parts, and I'm sure many of us do. I was wondering if somebody could school me on the cost/feasibility of having somebody replicate a large part like a fender or a side cover with a 3d printer? I don't have high hopes, but I figured I'd ask anyway. I have some cracked rd50 and Laguna plastics that would be cool to reproduce not only for myself, but for anybody else that needs.

Re: Feasibility of 3D printing fenders/sidecovers?

Flexing might be a problem while it's cooling. But it could work if you added alotta supports you would need to sand off after...

It would take alotta cleanup probably, you would also need one hell of a printer to do it all in one piece.

If you had the files it would be super sweet to cnc some outta aluminum to. But that big boy bucks there.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

You can make a mold and thermoset or just laminate sheets of carbon fiber in the mold

Dirty30 Dillon /

While small scale 3d printing has come a long way, that size is still hi-$, manufacturing proto type thing.

I wish it were more accessible because I'm also in that situation rn.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Btw they didn't have cad cam until the 80s

Make a wooden mold and coble that shit... Tin snips and mallet medevil shit ......

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Btw they didn't have cad cam until the 80s

>

> Make a wooden mold and coble that shit... Tin snips and mallet medevil

> shit ......

I mean they didn't have CAD but they had full scale industrial production processes at their disposal, which we do not

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Wow a wooden mold and a hammer and tin snips they didn't have metal shop at your vo tech huh?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

You aren't gonna make 1000000 of them.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> Wow a wooden mold and a hammer and tin snips they didn't have metal shop

> at your vo tech huh?

Let's see you hand carve a wooden form and then bang out a reasonable fender.

VoTech or not, without proper tooling you're still gonna get a wonk-ass crinkley fender.

I carved a wooden block and mandrel to correct a few dents in my Simplex fenders .

But , for doing a new fender or other contoured 'covers', I'd want an English wheel :

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah, most hobbyists in NYC don't have the SQFT for an English Wheel.

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> Flexing might be a problem while it's cooling. But it could work if you

> added alotta supports you would need to sand off after...

>

> It would take alotta cleanup probably, you would also need one hell of a

> printer to do it all in one piece.

>

> If you had the files it would be super sweet to cnc some outta aluminum

> to. But that big boy bucks there.

Selection of material is most important with too.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> Yeah, most hobbyists in NYC don't have the SQFT for an English Wheel.

They really don't take that much room . But , for as often as one might make a new fender or cover , it likely would be an extravagance type tool . ;)

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Witlle the form from glued blocks of hardwood burn away excess cut metal then just repeativly hit it. It mopeds not rocket science use copper sheet. Nice and thick the hand hammered copper when it patina s it would look cool. But in NYC a scrapper would steal it for crack money.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

You could use a vynal cutter or laser engraver to cut the mats to form fiberglass panels but you still need the mold or form for it to set and not deform.

Scooter used to bang shit together outta sheetmetal and weld, then fiberglass & bondo when it needed to be pretty. probably cheapest and most accesible route,

2nd would be molding outta cheap wood and cutting/gluing a form, then fiberglassing it.

3d printing is cool and kinda pricier and specialized but most colleges have community access equipment at low cost. Getting the dimensions right is a lot harder without a physical duplicate though. like you can't design on computer and mock it up at the same time so it'd probably take some serious trial and error.

also theyre a little big for most avoilable units, even a 1 foot cub printer is kinda on the larger side and most covers are longer than that diagonal

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> Scooter used to bang shit together outta sheetmetal and weld, then

> fiberglass & bondo when it needed to be pretty. probably cheapest and

> most accesible route,

>

> 2nd would be molding outta cheap wood and cutting/gluing a form, then

> fiberglassing it.

>

> 3d printing is cool and kinda pricier and specialized but most colleges

> have community access equipment at low cost. Getting the dimensions

> right is a lot harder without a physical duplicate though. like you

> can't design on computer and mock it up at the same time so it'd

> probably take some serious trial and error.

>

> also theyre a little big for most avoilable units, even a 1 foot cub

> printer is kinda on the larger side and most covers are longer than that

> diagonal

I actually do have the parts I want to reproduce! Reason I would want to remake them is that they're cracked, and have small bits broken off. I figured that would make it a lot easier to mock up in a program than having nothing. But It doesnt really seem feasible in the end. Ah well, maybe in another 5 years lol

I wonder if they could be designed and printed in two pieces that snap and lock together.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Wow I have a state of the art. Manufacturing robot it can tie shoes....

I believe the last price i got was about 10 cents a gram. so if you created the file yourself and had it printed somewhere it would cost about that. I would estimate the average fender sidecovers would cost somewhere between ten dollars and twenty dollars. Its tough to describe but technically your not supposed to have your feet on the pedals while riding. your supposed to have them on a piece of rubber on top of the side covers. I want to 3d print something simular to that piece of rubber.

you should always have your feet on the pedals while riding. super unsafer otherwise, I've seen people catch a pedal in a turn at rallies riding with their feet on the covers. easy way to wreck yourself

theres not much 3d printing rubber - probabl would 3D print a negative and line it and cast some polyurethane or silicone maybe.

> Seth B Wrote:

> I wonder if they could be designed and printed in two pieces that snap

> and lock together.

that's how the 3D printed front fairing is setup. the files are on thingiverse

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> > Seth B Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I wonder if they could be designed and printed in two pieces that snap

>

> > and lock together.

>

> that's how the 3D printed front fairing is setup. the files are on

> thingiverse

Printing them in two pieces would also make shipping more reasonable. The size box required for long side covers makes shipping too expensive.

Scooters have plastic footplates. I'm sure a moped can have one. I'm not sure how strong a 3d printed one would be though.

Screenshot_20200227-190652.png

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah, you're absolutely not supposed to travel down the road with your feet off the pedals.

And 3d printing costs for large format are not equivalent to small scale

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I whittled sidecover out of wood for a Tomos For a sideshot a35 a3. 1 x 4 and trim drill Gilligan it steamed bamboo...

> Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) Wrote:

> I have some rare bikes that need even rarer parts, and I'm sure many of

> us do. I was wondering if somebody could school me on the

> cost/feasibility of having somebody replicate a large part like a fender

> or a side cover with a 3d printer? I don't have high hopes, but I

> figured I'd ask anyway. I have some cracked rd50 and Laguna plastics

> that would be cool to reproduce not only for myself, but for anybody

> else that needs.

I could try and model a replica in my spare time if you'd like, I just need a fair amount of photos/measurements.

I would say it's a fine idea to 3D print, and then use that to create a mold, as large pieces take way too long to make, as opposed to casting from a molded part you just make once.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like, and I can try and get around to it in the future.

from what i'm reading , i think the easiest/fastest/cheapest way to do it would be

1) take the current fender and using hot glue, wood, masking tape turn it into a 'positive' mold

2) using a hand-lay fiberglass make a 'negative' mold on the outer surface

3) lay the new part up inside the 'negative' mold

if you do it that way it wont be as nice as doing a pressure set 2 part mold "the right way" but you'll still get a reasonable quality copy at 1/10 the work of doing a full 2 part mold with a wooden buck. you might be able to get creative with spray foam and blocking and masking tape and make a hokey inner mold just good enough to put some pressure on there. i've done some raggety-ass shit by literally just stuffing rags wrapped in masking tape into cavities to put pressure on the inside of a mold. i was also thinking the other day about maybe using baloons for something like this? like clown ballons wrapped in rags and taped into place?

i dunno fiberglass is pretty easy, if you can do paper mache, you can do fiberglass. i've made some janky shit come out pretty ok looking.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account