77’ Peugeot 103 gas leaking from crack on frame

I just picked up a 1977 Peugeot 103, rode it over to a friends pad to have him check it out, and as he is going over it he told there was a leak, I never even noticed gas leaking from the bottom of the tank at the weld, so bummed, is there anything that can be done to stop the bleeding?

I posted a couple pics

B8BE1C9E-058F-4E9A-BBBF-C96F4C531452.jpeg
85220EE2-73DF-484B-AF18-F540CB6A92F0.jpeg

Re: 77’ Peugeot 103 gas leaking from crack on frame

Wolf Wizard /

take off the motor, drain the gas and let the tank air out with no gas for a while, no cap on it or cock in it. And i mean a while. a few days. Sand and weld. Be careful welding gas tanks. shit can get dangerous.

^all that except, the frame is brazed together, golden in color n cheep at hd or lowes or harbor freight. get that and this

1582041719052-318602676.jpg

practice on like thickness metal, it pools like solder, then go for it, a wire wheel and some headphones help when it pops (leave gas cap off!) and work out in the wide open for the fuming paint/oil. So Burn out, wire and preheat like 5 times to get area clean and shiny. Also consider adding a crossframe bar so the frame dont buckle.

That looks to be welded to me. Once brazed it can never be welded again, so verify what's under the paint. Id prefer welding because it will be stronger for the frames sake.

I have repaired a variety of steel fuel tanks over the years. What I learned back in the 90s is that caustic is one of the few things that will remove all traces of fuel from within the pores of steel inside a fuel tank. The particular fuel tank at the time was for a 1960 Ford panel truck. In an effort to clean the tank thoroughly before making repairs, I took it to a radiator shop that submerged it over night in a caustic tank. Once rinsed and dried out, I commenced to solder up the dozen pin holes at the top of the tank with a propane torch. Never once did any fumes remain to catch fire or explode. Find some caustic solution and fill the tank for 24 hrs. before going near it with an open flame. The caustic will most likely ruin the paint if left on for any period of time. Do it outside keeping a water hose ready for spills and splashes.(edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

It's brazed, and the tank is not actually supportive on these, as the frame is square tube that the tank is brazed onto

Thanks so much for the feedback guys!

Richard Camacho /

Best thing to do is to empty the tank out remove the petcock as well take off the motor get por 15 it's a tank sealer epoxy follow the instructions once once it gets hard inside wait about 72 hours now your set put a new petcock add gas install the motor and once you get it all done she be ready to run.i recently done this procedure on three mopeds.my mopeds has rust holes no body wanted to help solder or weld so I did it myself I used JP weld lots of sanding to smooth out the imperfections then painted them hard work but it was worth the trouble.

^^^Yeah, don’t do that whatever you do! Por15 won’t work for long, and WHEN it fails, you’ll never get the peeling liner back out. IF you use a liner, it’s Caswell, or nothing. Period.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

^^^agree

I would suggest to drain the tank, rinse with vinegar, then throw vinegar and baking soda into it to make some goodly carbon dioxide and then grind the crack, drill stop the ends and braze it to fix the leak/weep of fuel. Then prep and use the tank sealer.

THEN seriously consider adding a upper stress bar to the bike. Even though the Pugs have the integral frame member that the tank is brazed to, the reason for stress cracks in the gank to frame union is stress from flexing. You would want to address that possibility.

Red cote works well for pinholes

I had the same crack on a green bike. I did not want to burn off all the paint with a weld so I like others completely drained and dried the tank and laid the bike on its side. Then using a small dremmel with a carbide tip I cut back the paint and really traced the crack with the dremel tip so I knew I was furrowing a ditch in the crack. Then I used a compressed air nozzle to blow rubbing alcohol back into the crack while scrubbing the he area with a small brass brush. I then taped off the area so that my repair would not be just a slathered mess of spooge

I then mixed up JB weld and really rubbed the compound in and then stacked it on about 1/8 thick. When the mix started to set up I removed the tape and it left a nice

symmetrical grey area that didn't look like a repair at all. The bike did not leak after that for two months and I eventually sold it. Heres the best part. I wound up buying the bike back two years later non running. The repair was still holding. I fixed the bike again and sold it before it started to leak on me.

(edited)

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account