WOODRUFF KEY KEEPS SHEARING

I have a puch magnum E50 with a cdi, and the woodruff keys i put on keep getting destroyed within 20 minutes of use. The magneto seems to be on really tight (I use an impact driver) and I have a stuffy crank. Ive gone through 5 in a week. Any advice would help. I don't want to get stranded

Re: WOODRUFF KEY KEEPS SHEARING

Dirty30 Dillon /

You should lap the taper. The keyway is only for alignment, the taper should hold it from spinning.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Intermittent bearing seizure...

Check lower end bearings and crank bearings for sticky spot s....

Put it on and tighten it. get a large socket and a hammer, place the stock centered on the flywheel and hit it with the hammer to seat it. Tighten nut again and repeat two to three times. Use a socket large enough so you don't damage the puller threads in the center of the flywheel. Done. Lapping will help also.

^^yeah, woodruff is for alignment only, its the taper on crank and magneto that really hold it together. i think theres a writeup on the wiki about lapping, basically u can toss the woodruff and slam it in place and it shoud stick and not move with 20ft lbs or so torque, thats if your lapped good.

Pushrod Fifty /

Do you have a lock and flat washer on it? Maybe the nut is torqued down but not contacting enough to hold the fly down.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Somethings making it shear....

I would triple check all the bearings for a cracked ball.

Richard Eberline /

Remove the flywheel and key. You are hitting a internal coil. Just install the the flywheel and check your air gap, .008. If it hit a internal coil, its could be bent.

Lots of good advice here.....

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

I don't agree with the hammer and socket trick, your crank bearings may not like that much, plus we have a flywheel in the goat shed with a cracked center from being forced into a crank with the wrong taper.

I'd get some lapping compound and lap that sucker in and you're good

IMG_20200219_183201.jpg

> the worst terry Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I don't agree with the hammer and socket trick, your crank bearings may

> not like that much, plus we have a flywheel in the goat shed with a

> cracked center from being forced into a crank with the wrong taper.

>

> I'd get some lapping compound and lap that sucker in and you're good

> >

Nice....following the lapping advice above using a sharpie would of revealed that for sure. Something to remember in the future.(edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account